• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to overclock AMD Athlom 64 X2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vladi2310

can someone teach me how to overclock? and what are risks in overclocking?
thanks in advance! :):):)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+

Last edited:
Start by reading the stickies. Here is the sticky for AM2 CPUs.

Basically to overclock an Athlon 64 X2 you need to increase the FSB or HTT clock speed in the bios. But you need to take your time with it so you don't cause damage.

The risks of overlcocking are that you can fry the CPU, motherboard, or other components in your computer if you don't have proper cooling or if you use too much voltage. Inadequate heat or too much stress on the components can decrease their lifespan over time. If you don't know what you're doing and take things too quickly you are more likely to cause damage. If you do your homework, have good cooling, a quality motherboard, and take your time with it then overclocking has very few risks.

And :welcome: to OC Forums :)

is there no quicker way to overclock?

You can crank up your HTT/FSB clock in your bios and cross your fingers that you don't blow your PC if that's what you want to do. The faster you do it the more risk you take. The conventional way to do it is to raise your HTT/FSB by 5-10MHz at a time until your PC will not POST anymore. When you get to that point you drop it down 5-10MHz to the previous setting that was able to POST. Then you can either leave it there or increase your CPU voltage and keep trying to go higher. Every time you increase voltage the CPU is going to generate more heat and stress the system more, which is more risky.

Overclocking takes patience. If you want an instant speed increase then your best bet is to just buy a new processor and upgrade. I just built a new PC and have spent the last two days overclocking, testing, and tweaking. But taking my time like that gives the the assurance that I won't blow my computer and flush a bunch of money down the toilet.

hmmm. thanks man.

well, I'm planning to buy a laptop when I'm on college. can you suggest some nice laptop with great specs?

hmmm. thanks man.

well, I'm planning to buy a laptop when I'm on college. can you suggest some nice laptop with great specs?

When are you starting college? If you're starting in the fall of 2013 then you should wait on getting a recommendation. I could recommend something now but there will be new laptops out 9 months from now. Getting a laptop for school boils down to what you need the computer to do and how much you want to spend. If you're an English major and just need to write papers then you don't need a powerful laptop. If you are an art major and taking graphics design classes then you will need a good laptop.

well, ummm, I will be an engineering student (chemical engineer). but I have the heart of a gamer(lol). I used to play computer games everytime(eg. NBA2k13,ACIII,COD,GTAIV,DOTA2,DeusEx,Borderlands,Dishonored)

well, ummm, I will be an engineering student (chemical engineer). but I have the heart of a gamer(lol). I used to play computer games everytime(eg. NBA2k13,ACIII,COD,GTAIV,DOTA2,DeusEx,Borderlands,Dishonored)

Well if you want to play games on your laptop then you'll need good graphics. If your budget is under ~$800 then your best bet will be to get a laptop with an AMD APU that has decent integrated graphics like nVidia GeForce 640m, 650m, 660m, or 670m. If you want to spend under $800 then you'll be looking at something with an AMD A10 processor. If you're wanting to play the newest games like COD Black Ops then you'll probably want something with high-end nVidia graphics.

how much do u think that the laptop with AMD A10 processor and good nVidia graphics cost?

Back