• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Grado speaker using headphone drivers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

7keys

Here's a grado speaker using 39 headphone drivers in a Mahogany cabinet.

Attachments

• grado-39.jpg
    grado-39.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 3,194
seems a bit of a niche market?

finding customers with 19 and half pairs of ears :-/

got to love a shiny no limits statement design piece... in hard wood :)

So you took one picture out of this site? . Unless it's now being in production for mass release, I don't see the point of this thread. The picture has circled internet for several years now.

(Furthermore, I've got a lot to doubt in that design's functionality. It would need a LOT bigger array of tiny transducers like that to make up the low-frequency roll-off that you get when you're not listening to the element few centimeters from your earlobe. The transducer was never meant to do that, and even with as many as this array has of them, it's not enough. Most full-range designs have exponentially more displacement in both area and excursion.)

Grado's get pretty loud using an amp. Not sure about mid range, but HF is definitely there.

These speakers are John Grado's and he uses them more than he does headphones, for matters of convenience. He has them coupled with some subs for the LF response. I haven't heard much more about them as far as frequency responses or quality.

So you took one picture out of this site? . Unless it's now being in production for mass release, I don't see the point of this thread. The picture has circled internet for several years now.

(Furthermore, I've got a lot to doubt in that design's functionality. It would need a LOT bigger array of tiny transducers like that to make up the low-frequency roll-off that you get when you're not listening to the element few centimeters from your earlobe. The transducer was never meant to do that, and even with as many as this array has of them, it's not enough. Most full-range designs have exponentially more displacement in both area and excursion.)

I'll ask your permission next time I post something I like.

Thanks!

Thanks, hadn't seen that before...it's unique...
I've got a set of Grado SR60i or 80 that I've had for years, they were my first expensive headphones I every got...still sound good.

Back