• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED XP Pro x64 vs Win 7 x64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pzykotik

I swear by XP.

When I bought Win7, I did it for the sake of it. But IMO it takes too much ressources.

Could I intall XP Pro x64 with my current rig? (see sig plz)

You could, but I would stick with 7. Xp is effectively end of life and now over 10 years old, newer games don't support it, and xp 64bit has had issues with drivers and software from experience with work.

Bleh. Okay, thanks.

Have any tips on speeding up Win7? Like speeding up the «Push Power Button» to «Controlling the mouse», especially «Windows startup logo» part.
(Other than the usual, "www.geektoldyoutodoit.com" tips like defrag and cleaning drives)

Solid state drive or put the computer to sleep instead of powering off

And check our your processes you have running at startup via msconfig.

HDDs/Optical drives > 1x 80Gb SATA + 1x 350Gb SATA + 2x IDE 80Gb Server
Is the 80GB SATA your OS drive? As Janus said, replace it with a SSD. It will make a big difference in the time to usable desktop.

What's the purpose of the 2x IDE 80GB server? Is there a background resource that is making these drives available to the network?

The server is just 2x HDD in another computer.

Tkx for that kmo, will try.

SSD... maybe one day, when I become rich rich rich.

And; msconfig startup? You mean salt and pepper right? -------

And For the win:

Partition 1:
Windows 8 64-bit made to look like Windows XP, bypassing metro, booting straight into Windows XP looking Desktop, complete with Windows XP looking start menu and Windows XP explorer buttons

Partition 2:
Windows XP 32-Bit, not 64-Bit, since you will get wider software and hardware compatibility and which app on windows xp will you use that actually consumes more than 4GB of ram, justifying the one and only reason of going 64-bit? And if you actually would, reboot into partition 1 and let Win8 take care of it.

We should make it a sticky that Windows XP has not reached End of Life status and that Windows Updates will continue to be available for it until second half of 2014.

I found XP 32bit better than XP 64bit, I had endless problems with XP 64bit back in the days, even Vista handled 64bit better... lol

<3 Windows 7 64bit, but Windows 8 Pro + Start8 for $45 total. :)

I used both Classic shell and Start8, Start8 feels more solid and I like the custom icons that comes with it.

I used both Classic shell and Start8, Start8 feels more solid and I like the custom icons that comes with it.
Thank you. I have downloaded Start8 to test it.

Classic Shell is highly customizable but I could see how the default font on some of the menus might be preferred. I could not find Favorites menu to be incorporated in Start8. It was also missing Windows XP style.

Here is Windows 7 start button which can be incorporated into Classic Shell:
Start Button Win7.png

I am using Windows XP start button for now:
Start Button WinXP.png

I have decided to stick with Classic Shell becasue I think there should be a way to custimize its fonts, abot the only difference I can find b/w it and Start 8:

Attachments

• Start Menu in my Windows 8.png
    Start Menu in my Windows 8.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
i had alot of issues with my llano in xp 32 bit mostly driver compatability issues it did not like this apu at all, hung up constantly and was slower than a turtle.

Back