• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Controlling 2 pin Molex fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pzykotik

So I've got these fans here. (Not exact model, but the pins are the same)

Is there a way that I could add some wires to control them (even soldering on the fan board is an option, if doable) or even just monitoring them?

Attachments

• D3351-B.jpg
    D3351-B.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 97
Can you take a picture of the PCB where the red/black fan wires are soldered on? If there's a third pad that is unpopulated that may be a tachometer connection.
As far as controlling them goes, there are a few options depending on how efficient you want it to be. The first step is to buy a header to plug into a standard motherboard port, then you can use a fan controller or even your motherboard if it supports voltage based control.

You could always find another PCB to run the fan if they run on the same voltage; It isn't very likely that your fans have the required hardware to monitor revs, temperature, or anything of that sort really. The production costs of building a non-controlled/reporting fan to a controlled/reporting fan are negligible; no sense in wasting more expensive PCB's on a cheaper selling part.

I work in electronics manufacturing, so it wouldn't make the most sense for that to be the case, however, there's always that longshot that China doesn't think the same way as me! :p

You could always create a variable control yourself if the fan will run on less than the normal operating voltage. There are also ways to measure RPMs as well; some require attaching something to the fan blade or circular base of the blade, and others use light to determine speed (lasers, etc...)

I guess you could also measure speed once based on what voltage they are at and just assume that that value won't change over time, however, air pressure, density, etc will likely play a role in your overall outcome at random.

It would be easiest, if the board doesn't have any of the functionality, to either swap the board for one with the functionality or to just use different fans.

Back