• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Laptop full reinstall, now its not an asus?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I just got myself a new (used) laptop An Asus K53E.

I took out the SSD from my old laptop, stuffed it in, formatted and installed Windows 7, but since i dont want Home Edition, its a clean install.

I went to the asus website, got drivers and so on, and i wanted to get the Asus Live update utility, and when i try to install it, it tell me it doesnt work on a non asus product.

What do i have to install for the Asus to become an Asus again?

I have an Asus Laptop too and I just never use the live update utility. IMO it's just bloatware. I go to Intel and use their update utility for the chipset and grab the rest of the drivers from Asus. The live update utility is unnecessary since you can grab the stuff you need on your own.

I have an Asus Laptop too and I just never use the live update utility. IMO it's just bloatware. I go to Intel and use their update utility for the chipset and grab the rest of the drivers from Asus. The live update utility is unnecessary since you can grab the stuff you need on your own.

I have resorted to doing this, but i have drivers i am unble to install, purely because it says its not an Asus notebook. Like Webcam. The PC is running smooth, but would like the power4gear power management, which is another im not allowed to have.

get the drivers from the part manufacturer such as realtek and whatnot, if you dont want the asus bloatware.

Supposedly that tool allows for some sort of overclocking of the laptop. I suppose that's what you want it for? That's what I found on the topic on the net anyways. The other power management stuff, Windows does just as well.

EDIT: just installed it to give it a shot and see what all the hub-bub is all about. :)

Last edited:
That is nothing special, just more bloatware. Windows does everything it can do without adding any silly software to handle power management. There isn't any OC ability like I saw someone speak of in some Asus forum either. You're not missing anything.

Oh dear no, i have no need to overclock a laptop at all! It has a B940 intel chip, if anything would be needed, which i dont see in the near future it would be replace the B940 with an i5-2450M, but i dont need it! Its not a gaming laptop anyway! Will add another 4gb ram, but thats about it.

But i will stick with the windows i got on it now! I just need to figure which bluetooth system is on and get it fixed, the rest is working fine.

It came with an upgrade from W7 Home to W8 Pro, in Danish! I hate using it in Danish, and omg god, after 10mins with W8, i was ready to kill someone! Does not work in my hands!

lol I agree, Win 8 is not so wonderful on a laptop. Tablet or Phone sure, I dig the touch screen bit. I popped in a 7200RPM 500GB HDD SSD hybrid drive and added some RAM to mine but it's all business, no play.
The hardware upgrade did it a world of good :) I'm really liking the hybrid drive.

lol I agree, Win 8 is not so wonderful on a laptop. Tablet or Phone sure, I dig the touch screen bit. I popped in a 7200RPM 500GB HDD SSD hybrid drive and added some RAM to mine but it's all business, no play.
The hardware upgrade did it a world of good :) I'm really liking the hybrid drive.

I never use more then about 50gb in my laptop, and i had a corsair p64 in my old laptop, the new asus came with 320gb wd. But i did not like w8 at all, i have a friend that uses it daily on his laptop, anf loves it, but he did admit it need alot of tweaks before it works as a laptop os. In anycase i got a w8 pro upgrade in case now, but the short time i spent on w8 was enough to ruin it for me. The ram upgrade would be my next upgrade.

The HDD it came with was a 320 but it got jammed up somehow. The OS froze up and it sounded like the reader heads were banging against the platters. So abiding by my rule, if it breaks upgrade, I got the hybrid.
The extra size allows me to partition the drive for better performance and to have an OS partition separate from my data. It also allows me to dual boot when I choose to, I like having options.

Back