• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED EZ Flashed my mobo. No mo' PC.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pzykotik

So yeah.

I've downloaded the latest BIOS update for my m5a97.

Dropped it in the system's hard drive.

Went in the bios, EZ flashed.

"Sucess! Please reboot to complete update!"

Now my computer is 99,9% unresponsive. Basically, it powers up.

Is there ANYTHING I can do, aside from buying a new bios chip?

Have you removed all power to the mobo and then cleared the CMOS? Have you tried to boot with only a single stick in the primary ram slot?

Removed the CPU and the main mobo cables, and switched the jumper. I've read to let it like this for more than just the 5-10 seconds, more like 5-10 minutes.

Well. There was nothing. I pressed the MemOk! button, and as described in the manual, it blinks for a while, seems like it's testing the best default. Will report back soon, either it stopped and works, or still blinks for nothing...

I did everything I could think of.

Took out the battery, switched the jumper, removed the power cables, unplugged the psu from the wass, unplugged the screen from the gpu, took off the gpu and the sound card, took a shower to let it rest for 10-15mins, plugged only the system HDD...

Is there a way to force a BIOS in with a usb stick?

In your current situation, I can think of 'nothng' less than a new pre-programmed bios chip that will fix your situation. Hopefully that mobo has a removable SFI eprom.

Both of those links lead to 'badflash com". Not to what seems risky or safe.

If you can tell if the bios chip is 8 pins in a little clamshell affair it can be "user" replaced pretty easily. Cheaper boards often have the little 8 pin bios chip soldered on and is not so easily replaced. IF replacable, can point to many places that sell pre-programmed SPI bios chips.

Last edited:
probably did wrong when copying the link, so yeah point me to these low-cost,trustworthy places.

NEED ASAP IM GOING CRAZY MY RESCUE PC IS A P4 1.6GHZ 256MBRAM................................

Sounds like you may have flashed with the wrong BIOS. Make sure you are getting the right one. There are several different M5A97 motherboards, even some that have the same model number but different versions. If you do indeed have the plain M5A97, make sure of which BIOS you need because there is the original release and version 2 of that board and each take their own BIOS file.

When you order a replacement BIOS chip it's important to give them the right information because they'll ask you what file you want it flashed with.

probably did wrong when copying the link, so yeah point me to these low-cost,trustworthy places.

NEED ASAP IM GOING CRAZY MY RESCUE PC IS A P4 1.6GHZ 256MBRAM................................

Well as Lvcoyote said, we and you need to know the exact mobo you have and for ordering a bios chip you need to know if your board has a removable chip.

If I knew the exact board you have, I would see if I could find a picture of it with enough detail to look for the bios chip location at my end, but not sure the exact mobo you actually have.

Well, as I flashed it before, it told me if it wasn't the right BIOS...

Well, I got the BIOS from asus' website. I'm pretty sure it was fine...

If I read your original post correctly you said you saved the BIOS file to your systems hard drive and flashed it from there?? If so the manual clearly states not to do that because it does not support NTFS fie systems. That might be where yoy went wrong. It says to only flash from a USB stick formatted to Fat32/16 only.

I can't find a detailed image of the version 1.2 board, but the version 2.0 board does have a removable BIOS chip.

I have a removable chip...

If I read your original post correctly you said you saved the BIOS file to your systems hard drive and flashed it from there?? If so the manual clearly states not to do that because it does not support NTFS fie systems. That might be where yoy went wrong. It says to only flash from a USB stick formatted to Fat32/16 only.

Well, I'll keep using the "crashed while updating BIOS" version... so I don't drown in shame.

Last edited:
I would try recovery with flash drive or cd/dvd. Just copy bios file in the right format ( it's M5A97.rom or amiboot.rom ) to flash drive/cd/dvd and turn on pc. If board start to read from drive ( you should see blinking leds ) then leave it for couple of minutes. It should restart automaticaly when it's done.
Sometimes it's working, sometimes not but it's always good to try.

Back