• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED upgrading to 680 SLI?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peugot

hey, so i wonder when the time is right, upgrading my system a bit. so far i have been thinking to either go for one more 680, a stronger processor, a pack of 16 GB more ram, and of course i will have to buy a better psu. BUT, will it be worth it to get another 680 in say spring, or is there going to be released 780/790 in 2013? and will the rest of my system be good enough for a couple of years ? any suggestion what i should do is highly appriciated, as i have not made any decisions yet =)

No mention of your screen size and usage. A 680 will play ALL games on ANY 1920 etc monitor just fine. So just got money to burn?

If your plan Surround gaming on 3 monitors at 24" each or larger, then yea do it. Otherwise, buy a new chair or headphones.

You have a killer rig P I don't see any reason to grab another 680 at this point and time and your psu is fine for the time being I would invest in a custom water loop if you have money to burn.

No mention of your screen size and usage. A 680 will play ALL games on ANY 1920 etc monitor just fine. So just got money to burn?

If your plan Surround gaming on 3 monitors at 24" each or larger, then yea do it. Otherwise, buy a new chair or headphones.

i use dual screen separate, a 47" primary with a 24" next to it(only one shows fullscreen game(47"), the other one do i use for monitoring temps etc). i usually play bf3 and ets 2, and other tasks that is not actually that demanding. what i want is to get a good system that can do almost anything as i see this as my hobby. i have built it myself and i want to built more on it to get it perfect ! so, hope this is a good enough answer to make it easier to answer my thread :D and thank you for answering btw =)

You have a killer rig P I don't see any reason to grab another 680 at this point and time and your psu is fine for the time being I would invest in a custom water loop if you have money to burn.

i want it better :D i am actually very satisfied with my temps, not over 42 when running bf3 on ultra a couple hours!( i have a little overclock + H60) also my gpu does never go over i think it's 60c with same task =) and with the psu i need a bigger one when i go SLI+ i want a modular one to get rid of all that cable-mess! so hardware that earn performance for all the money :D

Well just double checked on Google by posting what PSU needed for 2 x 680's in Sli ! The answer was the same AX850 or 1050w but the most important thing is continuous amps of 53amps or greater on the 12 volt line? And it needs to be Gold or Plat Standard!!!!

1, http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/330199-10-watt

2, http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=1033634

just what i tought :) so that is already decided, but the rest of my questions do i still need answers to =)

Well the only one thing i have heard so far is the release of the new AMD 8--- Series next year! As for Navidia i have not seen or heard anything as of yet on that, if you want to check try Google to see? AJ.

p.s. By the way Merry Xmas to one and all from Me and the Family!

Well the only one thing i have heard so far is the release of the new AMD 8--- Series next year! As for Navidia i have not seen or heard anything as of yet on that, if you want to check try Google to see? AJ.

p.s. By the way Merry Xmas to one and all from Me and the Family!

yes but if they will be a btter choice in comparison to the 680, because they must be real good if they want to make me throw my 680 for one =) merry x-mas to you and yours =)

Last edited:
Here are some comparisons for you to look at, but 2 x 680's really kick anything! Posts 2/3 well maybe you would call that a draw between the 2 cards. AJ. :thup: :santa:

1, http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/585?vs=508

2, http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/585?vs=588

3, http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/555?vs=508

Here i gave you 3 examples of different matches as you can see, you can book mark the page and change the settings yourself! ;)

thank you! 680 really rocks, gotta have one more for sure! to bad i can't run the 680 + 7970, then i have got the best from both worlds :( so, what i have so far: 1 more 680 will be future proof(?), min.850w modular psu, 16gb more ram. so the last thing to decide, should i maybe get a 3930K, or wait until sandy bridge-E get cheaper? they will probably be cheaper when ivy bridge-E comes out, but then i may get one of them instead? i really can't find any info about IB-E so i don't know.. do you know what i should do in that case?

I have just run some comparisons on your CPU and i would say keep it and wait, it scores really high. Get the Ram by all means 16 GB will not hurt as that what i am using now myself. Just check my SIG for the Specs! Well that wraps it up finished. AJ.

I have just run some comparisons on your CPU and i would say keep it and wait, it scores really high. Get the Ram by all means 16 GB will not hurt as that what i am using now myself. Just check my SIG for the Specs! Well that wraps it up finished. AJ.

then i'll wait thank you =) yes, that will give me a total of 32gb ram as i already have 16 :) sounds good, thank you for all help and merry x-mas =)

Merry Xmas to my good friend in Norway and see you again soon! AJ.

P.S. Don't for get to click Solved!!!!

Last edited:
Back