• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I Buy 2 GTX 670s?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LiptonSu

Registered
Since it's boxing day in Canada soon, the Gigabyte (2 Fan) GTX 670 is on sale for $279.99. I was thinking If I should buy 2 of them or not. I can survive with 1 of them but since it's such a big sale, should I go with 2? Will they go for even cheaper in the future? I'm probably going to SLI them in the future and was just wondering If the price of the GTX 670 can go lower then $279.99 (Gigabyte 2 Fan model). The MSI TwinFrozr model is $309.99. Which one would be the better choice?

Any opinions would help :)

Thanks.

if you have the money and you are planning to sli, go for it, I doubt they will be cheaper any time soon

Maybe you could say what you wish to do with these cards and what Res you will be working with? This is so that the members looking in can advise you much better, but like as a example whats the PSU you have etc? Thank you! AJ

P.S. Can you do a SIG like mine Please click the link in Edit Sig in Quick links button Merry Xmas.

Last edited:
I'm currently using dual monitors at 1920x1080 resolution and a Corsair HX850 PSU. I just want to get opinions of whether or not you guys will think it'll go cheaper then $279.99 later down the road or not.

Last edited:
I wouldn't get dual. Reason being that settings that require the power of two GTX670s (aka triple screen resolutions) are going to need more than 2GB of vRAM.

Future games, depends how much they optimize the engines.

If you currently own a GTX 480, would the GTX 670 be a good upgrade? Or would you just save the money and upgrade later in the future. Considering that my GTX 480 handles everything I throw at it fine. Only during certain games like Metro 2033 that I can't play maxed out.

P.S. One of the reasons I do want to upgrade is because my current GTX 480 produces too much heat, eats a lot of power, and sounds like a jet engine. But I'm not sure If that really justifies throwing out approx. $350.

I'm probably just going to overclock my card and stick with it for a while longer. Thanks for the opinions guys!

Does SLI'ing raise FPS or it is really only good for multimotior? I want to buy another 670 one day =P Or not, depending on your answer.

TBH I don't care what people say, people can notice over 60fps. At least I can...

I'm currently using dual monitors at 1920x1080 resolution and a Corsair HX850 PSU. I just want to get opinions of whether or not you guys will think it'll go cheaper then $279.99 later down the road or not.
of course it will go cheaper ...especially after the new cards come out un a few months. :)

I had a 480, which I used the evga step-up to et the 670 shortly after release. At 1080p, either card is plenty, but the noise and heat output of the 670 is significantly better. After a 2-3 hour gaming session, my computer room used to turn into a sauna (I keep the door closed normally to not wake my daughter) while the 670 keeps my room at a much more comfortable temperature. The noise is still there but it is not as pronounced, I generally hear my cpu cooler more than my gpu most days :)

I'd stick with a single 670 and save the 280 bucks for something else... One thing you have to keep in mind is the second card will never ever give you 100% more performance over the single card.

As was said before, a single card scales MUCH better in games than a dual card set-up... Personally, I just don't like the power consumption and software dependence of either SLI or Crossfire.

In some EXTREMELY RARE cases you go get 2x scaling (for example, in my testing on 7850 and 7970, I saw 2x scaling in Aliens vs. Predator IIRC), but it is very rare. There is no scaling with one card, what you buy is what you get!

Somewhere down the road it's sure to be cheaper, just a question of when and whether you can play the waiting game. I mean, if you have a burning desire to get the GB or MSI card, why not get one first? I'm sure when the GTX7xx series is released, you can score a 2nd GB/MSI for cheap in the Used/Garage section of tech forum. I have 2x GTX670 in SLi because I game on a Zalman ZM-m240W monitor that does S3D, cutting my framerate by ~20% (using passive S3D), the 2nd card is to ensure that framerate remains high despite enabling S3D.

I'd for it! Buy 2 of them! These GTX 670s are beasts and they cost less than what I paid for each of my GTX 460 1GB while being more than 100% faster! If I had the money I'd do it in a heart beat!:clap:

Back