• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dealing with wireless congestion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enablingwolf

Senior Member overclocking at t
If you have any general tips. Please share them. Even if it does not help me. It could help others.

I live in a place that as the title states, has wireless congestion. I was hoping to find a way to deal with it and possibly get around it. By congestion - I mean <45 users on channels 1-11. (It's worse than that, but they are out of range.)

Most of my infrastructure is wired. I do have two tablets, and a printer that are wireless. None of them devices support 5Ghz, which I have a router that has a dual radio. (If I could move over to 5Ghz, I would not be posting this query.) I get great signal strength (>40dBm,) but with all the other wireless devices in my area. I get crap bandwidth.

Routers available: Linksys EA2700 & WRT54GS(v1.0) - Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH
Devices: Asus TF300T - Levono A2107A - Cannon MX340

Is there anything I can do with this, or am I stuck? Under 4Mb/s is not enough to even stream LAN hosted flicks, webcam and general internet usage is generally slow.. I have a rock solid 30/5 WAN/gigabit LAN connection.

Last edited:
Range is not the issue. I can sneeze and hit the AP. Signal is sometimes 28 dBm. (How will I attach it to an Android device?)

Last edited:
i know its a little "illegal" broadcasting on channel 14, but DDWRT can do it. (note, i said Illegal) FCC catches you its not my idea!

at any rate, download a SSID finder on your tabs and see what the "least" congested is, i think thats about the best you can do other than pumping your signal power and or high gain antenna's

I have no clue on that ill-eagle you speak of. Besides, I have US firmware devices and they will not do JP radio songs. :rolleyes: Even if 2 of the routers will transmit in J-Pop.

As for finding 'least' congested. With modern routers... Most of them are set to channel hop. There is no least congested.

So you only have couple devices that are restricted to 2.4 and the rest can be 5.0?

Id scan the channels in your area and find the least used and select that. My modern router does not hop, its set on Ch 3.

So you only have couple devices that are restricted to 2.4 and the rest can be 5.0?

I only have the three devices listed in my OP, that need wireless. The rest is wired gigabit.

Id scan the channels in your area and find the least used and select that. My modern router does not hop, its set on Ch 3.

There's only a couple devices I notice, that do not channel hop. The rest I simply can't keep up how much they move around on channels. I can barely see the list in the first place. It is that crowded.

Breweries and bars to the left. Culture to the right. :) ..I have yet to go to the new museum in the East side. Looks really sweet.

Back