• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The computer I want to build will only have 1 moving part

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

easytim

The computer I want to build will only have 1 moving part, just 1 fan , that's it! Maybe 2 fans

Solid State hard drive
Fanless power supply
Fanless Video Card
A BIG Oversized heat sink, so if the heat sink gets a little dirty it won't shut down.

And the fan I want to use are good for 300,000 hours of use -------------60,000 = 5 years
COUGAR CF-V12HP Vortex Hydro-Dynamic-Bearing (Fluid) 12CM Silent Cooling Fan, 300,000 Hours,

This is the kind of Motherboard I will be using, it has these type of capacitors
DuraCap (2.5 x longer life time, 100% Japan-made high-quality Conductive Polymer Capacitors)

An average computer uses 165watts, my computer will use around 80watts

Average cost per month if you leave your computer on 24 hrs a day is $14.00++
my computer uses $7.00 What kills a computer faster than anything is turning it on and off. By leaving it on 24/7 your better off in the long run.

This is all part of my bullet proofing strategy, I have never bought a store computer (EVER)
I have been building them for years and I now feel I want to put together a computer together that is cheap to leave running and will last for a very long time.

I want to use a top notch ITX motherboard with onboard video and sound card.

I know this is an out of the box idea and does not fit here on the forum, but you guys are the experts, any ideas from anyone to do this please let me know.

I assume you wont be playing games with this setup? Or at least not cranked at 1920x1080p? Not totally silent and a passive CPU cooler?

Turning your PC on and off being more harmful than turning it on was a something discussed 20 years ago and that was due to the switches used...

I think you are on the right path with mATX/ITX build though!

The computer I want to build will only have 1 moving part, just 1 fan , that's it! Maybe 2 fans

Solid State hard drive
Fanless power supply
Fanless Video Card
A BIG Oversized heat sink, so if the heat sink gets a little dirty it won't shut down.

And the fan I want to use are good for 300,000 hours of use -------------60,000 = 5 years
COUGAR CF-V12HP Vortex Hydro-Dynamic-Bearing (Fluid) 12CM Silent Cooling Fan, 300,000 Hours,

This is the kind of Motherboard I will be using, it has these type of capacitors
DuraCap (2.5 x longer life time, 100% Japan-made high-quality Conductive Polymer Capacitors)

my computer uses $7.00 What kills a computer faster than anything is turning it on and off. By leaving it on 24/7 your better off in the long run.

This is all part of my bullet proofing strategy, I have never bought a store computer (EVER)
I have been building them for years and I now feel I want to put together a computer together that is cheap to leave running and will last for a very long time.

I know this is an out of the box idea and does not fit here on the forum, but you guys are the experts, any ideas from anyone to do this please let me know.

I like the idea as I've purchased mostly quiet parts and have looked into the all-silent options of fanless PSUs and giant heatsinks, but ended up with Enermax fans which I'm content with. The only thing I recommend is that if you can't find the right ITX board, a microATX in a very compact mini chassis often takes up about the same size as most ITX cases unless you go for the extreme ones like the Antec ASK110 or a MiniBox M350.

From what I've heard, enterprise operating systems like CentOS tend to have the ability to run for prolonged periods without leaking RAM, and Fedora has a free license to a program called Ksplice which allows updating the system without having to restart. Also, per your electricity usage, there are even less expensive energy chips that use 40-50 for entire system (the i3 2120t uses 35 with integrated intel HD 2000 graphics, and some of the high end 7000 Radeons uses about 10 watts with Zero Core on idle; source: guru3d) with uses around so it depends on how much performance you want for gaming- and for those I don't know which ones are have better 24/7 endurance benchmarks, but the workstation GPUs like Quadros and Firepros are said to have that and I'm curious if Xeon and Opteron chips do too, which do come in low wattage boards for servers.

Last edited:
Just a simple question...why?

I already have a killer O.C. 4.5Ghz 16GB ram machine only 3 fans total

I just want a simple bullet proof computer made to last a very very very long time.
I'm tried of Video Card fans and Power supply fans and junky CPU fans, I want a computer with one 300,000 hour 140mm fan and no other moving parts. Not everyone who owns a computer plays games.

I don't need a hovercraft or water coolers - I not from the same cloth as most of the people here on this forum, but I do respect everyones opinion here, I hope I didn't sound too bad:) You guys are the experts !!!!!!!!:clap:

My simple answer

So you're looking for a simple machine (you didn't specify for what purpose) where the main goal is longevity?

I already have a killer O.C. 4.5Ghz 16GB ram machine only 3 fans total

I just want a simple bullet proof computer made to last a very very very long time.
I'm tried of Video Card fans and Power supply fans and junky CPU fans, I want a computer with one 300,000 hour 140mm fan and no other moving parts. Not everyone who owns a computer plays games.

I don't need a hovercraft or water coolers - I not from the same cloth as most of the people here on this forum, but I do respect everyones opinion here, I hope I didn't sound too bad:) You guys are the experts !!!!!!!!:clap:

My simple answer

It's normal to want something durable so it will last very long. The best reason for that is because it saves money. I'm sure most motherboards that advertise good capacitors fulfill that and PSUs like Seasonic are said to last a long time (longer than the performance life of the motherboard/cpu). As Earthdog says, the power switches 20 years ago seemed to be less resilient and that issues seem to have been solved. Large heatsinks might solve your noise issue, and a quality system could last likely last 8-20 years. More than most people by that time will be able to afford an upgrade at least once every 10 years, so a better reason to want something longer than that is simply because one appreciates a durable system and to just see how long it really lasts, not because they fear it will be the only one they'll have, unless of course one just wants a reliable backup. It's not my business to ask what you're using it for; and I can only make jokes at myself like wanting to use it for an underground bunker in the middle of nowhere without normal contact that would come in handy, or a "freedom" spreading botnet...:welcome:

Last edited:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/

it doesn't actually save money to try and make a computer last a long time, buying upgrades over periods of time is actually cheaper then dumping allot of money into high end parts hoping it lasts a few years..

But that all depends on your needs, many people are fine with a Intel core 2 duo rig and 4G of ram....

it doesn't actually save money to try and make a computer last a long time, buying upgrades over periods of time is actually cheaper then dumping allot of money into high end parts hoping it lasts a few years..

But that all depends on your needs, many people are fine with a Intel core 2 duo rig and 4G of ram....
Yeah, that depends- I wasn't suggesting an i7 but an i3 that uses 35 watts because leaving it on 24/7 for whatever reason may be of value. An basic i7 or FX 6300 will last a long time for performance and encoding applications, whereas basic multimedia will be served by an athlon ii x2 or a core 2 duo. The cost of upgrading to used components can save $50-$100, but some of that money will simply be spent earlier, rather than later with a faster processor that lasts well into the 2nd upgrade. I have a Palit 9600GT that I've used for more than 4 years because I was happy with my performance on high, then medium and now low settings, and I'm only itching for an upgrade now that 4 generations later the minimum requirements for some new games are running at 10fps (my new rig has a newer cpu too). Discovering the fact that they even run is part of the fun.

Last edited:

Well, how many years is Win7 64bit going to be around? Thats how long I want it my computer to last. So,4 core 4gb of Ram to run Win7 should work for a long time

So you're looking for a simple machine (you didn't specify for what purpose) where the main goal is longevity?

I will most likely end up using it as a video server to record any motion seen from four network cameras I have. 24/7 for as many years that it will last. It needs to be rock solid with no problems and because its low power it will be a big plus.

Solid State hard drive
Fanless power supply
Fanless Video Card

Looks okay by me. No reason to change anything.

I will most likely end up using it as a video server to record any motion seen from four network cameras I have. 24/7 for as many years that it will last. It needs to be rock solid with no problems and because its low power it will be a big plus.

Any idea how much horsepower that would take?

You could just grab one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Motherboard / CPU / VGA Combo&Order=BESTMATCH

Seasonic has a fanless Plantium unit if you're looking for the lowest power draw from the wall possible. However, since this is such a low power consumption machine to begin with, the reduction on your electricity bill won't offset the increased cost of the PSU.

Any idea how much horsepower that would take?

You could just grab one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Motherboard / CPU / VGA Combo&Order=BESTMATCH

Seasonic has a fanless Plantium unit if you're looking for the lowest power draw from the wall possible. However, since this is such a low power consumption machine to begin with, the reduction on your electricity bill won't offset the increased cost of the PSU.

I have one of those ASRocks. Actually haven't used it yet but will use it for my email checking station. I hate having my computer on for the most frequent needs. I use a laptop mainly for that but I prefer to keep that too in gentle condition to save its battery.

Well, how many years is Win7 64bit going to be around? Thats how long I want it my computer to last. So,4 core 4gb of Ram to run Win7 should work for a long time

Sure, to run the OS, the memory and cpu usage is more what do you want to run on it..

i could run windows 7 on some old single core system with 256mb of ram but i wouldnt be able to do anything else on it :)

That's kind of a loaded question. Microsoft will stop pushing updates out for Win7 in the next year or two, if not sooner.. Meaning Windows 7 won't be supported anymore, as far as MS is concerned. Now, for many people, that isn't an issue - People run on XP still, and it hasn't been supported for a number of years now.

But, in.. We'll say 5-7 years? Ish. You'll start seeing programs no longer supporting 7 as well.. Again, XP serves as an example there, as there are several games out now that require DX11 which isn't supported by XP. The same'll be said for other types of programs, soon.

Few things:

1) Fanless PSUs and GPUs and such all still require air movement.

2) No fan is going to last 300,000 hours, that's 34 years. No way.

3) The high temperatures that come with passive cooling shorten the lifespan of everything.

It's far from an impossible goal to use a single fan, but to do it right you're going to need to custom mod the case so that the single fan moves air over everything that needs air. That's CPU heatsink, GPU heatsink, MB MOSFET heatsink(s), PCH heatsink, PSU.
Totally doable, just a pain.

Back