• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

120Hz monitor stuck at 60Hz.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ClutchHunter

This is my setup:

Both of my monitors are BenQ XL2411T's. They are both connected to my 7950 video card. One of them is connected via DVI-I dual link and the other HDMI.

I (think I) understand that at 1920x1080 the HDMI cable doesn't have enough bandwidth to support 120Hz, but I don't understand why the one connected by the DVI-I dual link cable won't go above 60Hz unless I lower my resolution significantly. Help appreciated :)

assuming you're on Windows 7:
Screen Resolution
-Advanced settings
--Monitor
In the middle of the screen you see a menu to select Screen refresh rate.
Is 120hz there?

assuming you're on Windows 7:
Screen Resolution
-Advanced settings
--Monitor
In the middle of the screen you see a menu to select Screen refresh rate.
Is 120hz there?

No. The only options are 59 & 60 Hertz. I've also looked under: 'Screen Resolution -> Advanced Settings -> Adapter -> List All Modes' and 75Hz is only available for resolutions 1280x1024 and below and 120Hz is only available for resolutions 1024x768 and below.

Help anyone? I was thinking of trying one of those hacky methods of forcing it but I'd rather not risk it just in-case there's a valid reason for 120Hz not working.

Have you tried it with just one monitor? I don't think I've seen anyone attempt 120hz with dual monitor (not even sure it's possible), or especially running one at 60 and one at 120. Not saying it's never been done but I've never seen it.

I'd try with just one monitor on the dual link DVI and see if it gives you the option then.

Looking it up online it seems possible, I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Also of note is that Catalyst Control Center it telling me that both monitors support up to 120Hz, however that may have just been pulled from a database somewhere.

The DVI cable linking the video card and the monitor specifically has "DUAL LINK" written across it. CCC is just calling the connection 'DVI'. Hmm. Is there any particular program for detecting very specifically what type of output is being used?

I don't know of a program although there probably is one, but you can probably just look at your card specs. I have heard of some new-gen cards with displayport not having dual link dvi, in which case you have to use a DP to dual link dvi dongle.

The site where I bought the card it said there was: 1x dual-link DVI-I, 1x HDMI, 1x DVI-D, 2x mini DP.

And the card actually has: 1x HDMI, 2x mini DP(I think, not familiar with these), 1x VGA, 1x some sort of DVI. Perhaps it's just not a dual-link DVI output?

Link to where I can get an adapter?

They aren't cheap. Unlike single link, you have to use a powered active adapter for dual link DVI.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158262

Don't choke too hard because I doubt that's the case. I think the majority of cards still have at least one dual link DVI. I do remember seeing a review somewhere of one Radeon 7xxx that didn't though.

If it is the case I'd post up what you want to do with it before shelling for an active adapter. If it's gaming your 7950 will have trouble pushing all that.

I doubt you'd need to anyway but I wouldn't spend $100 for a converter honestly. Try one monitor on the DVI first.

also theres a way to force refresh rates i know the old CCC used to be able to do it but doesnt seem like the new one can.

I recall that AMD pulls the system down to teh lowest refresh rate in teh loop.

HDMI cant do 120HZ, nor can DVI-D. You need display port or Dual Link DVI.

Also note that the refresh rate primarily comes from wondows, so set your display rate there first, then it will appear in CCC. Had that drama with mine at first until I realised.

Both my monitors have 1x DVI-D Dual-link and 1x HDMI input. My video card has 2x Mini DP, 1x HDMI and 1x DVI-D Single-link output.

Is there any feasible way to get 120Hz out of these monitors without buying two ludicrously expensive Mini DP to DVI-Dual adapters?

Last edited:
Back