• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

when will the phenom x8 come out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ive never heard of a 'Phenom x8'. If you meant cores, there are already 8 core CPUs out from AMD... The FX-8xxx series are all Octocore(ish).

Not sure why one would even bring up the odd-ball Phenom X8 but after doing a little checking of hype and rumors from the halls of AMD lore, I see this idea is one year and about 4 days old. Christmas time of 2011.

With low frequencies and without Turbo Core, the new eight-core Phenom II X8 will likely be considerably slower than the existing six-core Phenom II X6 processors based on Thuban design. Awesome.

It beats us why AMD didn't take the opportunity (new silicon) to label these "Phenom III"? Probably because they already perform worse than the Phenom II line, so naming a worse performing processor as Phenom III would get them blasted in reviews and by the consumers.

And then it surely appears that those low performing X8-whatevers would be locked multiplier cpus.

So now it seems the rumor is a year old. Much like the BS hype preceding the release of the less than awesome BD processors, now we have slighlty over a year of guesses about a line of low performing mostly low-ball, locked multiplier FX cpus being rumored about.

Currently cannot get one. Do not want one. Cannot imagine AMD releasing such a cpu except to get rid of a pile of FX silicon that does not perform up to the speed of an already under-performing Bulldozer lineup.

Might have been a drawing board idea with the server market in mind.

A lot has happened over at AMD in the past year, not much of it very awe inspiring. Maybe they forgot what they drafted 'cause it was locked up in an office now abandoned during the big firing binge of last year.

I would love for AMD to continue the Phenom II legacy, some of the best chips AMD has ever made. But I get the idea that it's cheaper making the FX chips with virtual cores than 6-8 physical cores.

kind of pity that X6's are impossible to find now, but there's a handful of X4's floating around and the price of the 955-965 is dropping rapidly, although I wouldn't mind finding a 960T.

I would love for AMD to continue the Phenom II legacy, some of the best chips AMD has ever made. But I get the idea that it's cheaper making the FX chips with virtual cores than 6-8 physical cores.

kind of pity that X6's are impossible to find now, but there's a handful of X4's floating around and the price of the 955-965 is dropping rapidly, although I wouldn't mind finding a 960T.

You can get a x6 1045t black edition for 100 euros on amazon

I get the idea that it's cheaper making the FX chips with virtual cores than 6-8 physical cores.

FX series has no such thing as virtual cores, its not hyperthreading they are real cores. They are just very very different type of core. Beyond that Vishera is pretty much clowning on BD from just about every angle.

BD had issues, PH-II X8 was a bad translation or rumor for a product that was never going to happen. They were refering to the bulldozer chips but didn't have any good info on what they were going to be called at the time.

Life moves on, tech moves on, welcome back to the now where we have 2nd Gen FX(Vishera) and 3rd Gen Core I[x](Ivy Bridge) as the real competitors in the market.

Back