• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade time - I have...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enddoc

I have a failing CPU fan so it’s time for an upgrade, existing is:

Asus M2N-SLI motherboard with AM2 socket
Processor AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 5800+ 3.00 Ghz
4.00 GB memory
64-Bit Windows 7

I wish to change the CPU and memory while I have the case open.
Whats best?

I would save up for a new system personally. The best CPU you can drop in there, I believe, is a X2 6000+ which there is very little difference between your current CPU and that one. You have 4GB of memory, I would upgrade to 8GB of DDR2 800. Honestly, save your money for a more substantial upgrade. At almost $200 just for meager upgrades, you are halfway to an entirely new system that will blow that one out of the water.

You can follow this link and look at the list of Cpus that Asus says are supported by that motherboard. Buy the fastest one that you can still find available at a good price from a reputable vendor in your area. That is about as good as it gets for that older technology motherboard. Link >> http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2/M2NSLI_Deluxe/#CPUS

It is most likely time to upgrade motherboard, ram, and processor to later technology. Or it seems I tend to lean in that direction. The older boards did not handle 8 gigs of ram as well as todays do since there were hardly any kits of DDR2 ram that totaled 8 gigs. And today if you try and buy 8 gigs of DDR2 ram it is likely twice as expensive as 8gigs of faster DDR3 ram.

The mOst important thing to know when upgrading is HOW MUCH will you really spend and what are the intended uses. Money available may really hamper speccing for a good system to handle intended uses and then the word you used "best" is not relevant.

I have to agree with earthdog and Rgone, the motherboard bundles from newegg, microcenter and other venders make upgrading and updating the right choice in the longer term.

Back