• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible Fried MB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Reliv3

I took my computer to a friends house a week ago and the transportation was far from docile. I went over a couple speed bumps and things got rattled in the back. When I arrived, I plugged everything in and turned the computer on. It started a loop, on and off and on. I had experienced this with bad RAM before so I opened up the case to check the RAM, and I found one of the RAM sticks was half out of the socket on the MB. I stuck it back in the slot, closed the case and rebooted the PC. Everything was working fine, logged onto windows, and left it at the desktop while I went to help my friend handle his also misbehaving computer. Within five minutes or so, the computer just shut off: no warning. When I rebooted the computer, it went to the windows loading screen and BSOD'ed. I opened the case again to look at everything, and thats when I noticed the CPU heatsink and fan was loose. I took the heatsink off, and removed the CPU, hoping it wasnt going to be melted into the socket. Well, it wasn't and everything looked fine so I cleaned the thermal paste, reapplied new paste, and reinstalled the CPU and heatsink. Rebooted...same thing. Second thing I thought was may be the windows on the HD got corrupted so I tried booting from the windows disc to reformat, but it BSOD'ed right after the black "loading windows files" was finished. This was when I knew I had a major problem here. Thought may be I fried the HD so I plugged in another HD and the same thing happened. I noticed my PSU fan wasn't spinning (even though it was still powering everything on) so I thought may be the PSU was bad. Plugged in another PSU, and this was really weird. I normally run a 600watt, but the one I plugged in was more, a 750watt. I went on a basic build, just MB and HD. I unplugged my graphics card, sound card, and anything else not needed to run the computer. I first plugged the PSU to just the MB (forgetting about the HD) and everything started up and the MB correctly noticed no HD was installed. I then plugged my HD in and when I turned it on, only a couple lights came on on the MB, no fans spun or anything. Curious, unplugged the HD from power, turned on the computer and everything booted normally again noticing no HD. Replugged the HD, nothing. Haha, what?! Well, eventually I got something with the HD plugged in. I heard a zzzzip and then smoke from my HD, fried my HD. Won't spin up. Mind you, this was my friends 750watt psu not the one I thought might have been screwed up. So, I got another working Hd from my friend, replugged in my 600watt psu, hooked up the MB and the new HD, and turned it on and everything was working again, but still the BSOD problem from before. (also the fan was still not spinning on the PSU). I closed shop and saved it for tm, hoping I might have had a bad case of static in the lines. Next morning, turned it on, still BSOD and still the PSU fine not working. Turned it off and on again, PSU fan decides to work now, but still BSOD at same spot. I check my ram by turning the PC on with every individual stick and got the same result with all of them. Then I did a memory diagnostics test and the computer BSOD during that. Still, i grab new sticks of RAM and the computer still BSODs in the same spot. So now I think its the motherboard. Its weird because everything seems to work. I can get into the MB bios and it reads everything correctly with no problems. It reads a normal CPU temp, the correct HD space, and the correct RAM amount. It only screws up when I try doing anything with windows.

Anyways, so sorry about the length. I have heard of these forums before, and I know there are some very intelligent people on here. I was hoping to get another opinion on my situation here

Have you tried booting into safe mode? Sometimes a failed startup can cause huge instability in windows.

As you mentioned this happens only when you startup windows?

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I've tried safe mode and it still crashes to BSOD. It goes so far as crashing while trying to reformat the HD

just bought an ASrock extreme4 and everything is running fine now. MB was definitely fried. Thanks for reading the thread

Good to hear you figured out the problem, however, was your board not under warranty?

Back