• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which one of these temps is the northbridge?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

charle692

Hi everyone sorry to ask this but I couldn't really find an answer anywhere. I have a Asus m5a97 r2.0 motherboard and a fx-6100 currently @ 4.2ghz with a core voltage of 1.344. I believe the max safe temp for the northbridge is 80C? I'm using open hardware monitor to look at the temps when stressing and the top temp under motherboard goes to about 51C. Is that the northbridge?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 8,363
I believe temperature 1 is your cpu temp I'm not sure if open hwmonitor reads the nb temp

I believe temperature 1 is your cpu temp I'm not sure if open hwmonitor reads the nb temp

Ok because my northbridge is hot! like I can't touch it for long so i'm a little worried. I'm gonna try everest to see if it reads northbridge temps.

If you can't touch the heatsink for long, it needs some airflow.
Even a little bit, like a quiet 120mm fan some inches away, will help a lot.
A smaller fan strapped to the thing is ideal, a 60mm-70mm fan off an older non-heatpipe AMD CPU cooler for example.

Judging from my CHV temps and the readouts I get in HWMonitor since I do not use OHM since it greys out all the voltages I want to read or only gives me two...so back to the temps; the 51c is CPU TEMP (socket) and the 41c is the North Bridge temp. Board and South Bridge are usually lower than the 41c so that fingers it as North Bridge temp or should.

EDIT:
Just read that you said the NB heat sink is hot. Use CPUID .com HWmonitor and it will show the NB temp even if not labled as such for sure.
END EDIT.

Ok so just installed Hwmonitor and there isn't any definite nb temp but there is a motherboard temp which i'm assuming is southbridge? I also installed everest to see what it would give me and well nothing much. It gives me aux which seems to be hand in hand with the cpu temps from hwmonitor, so it seems as if there isn't a northbridge temp?

Attachments

• temps.png
    temps.png
    463.6 KB · Views: 8,236
charle, I have a similar motherboard and had the same issue. I don't know if it is normal but my NB was very hot to the touch also. To the point where it was painful to hold a finger on it. I strapped a 80mm fan blowing down on it and the problem was solved.

charle, I have a similar motherboard and had the same issue. I don't know if it is normal but my NB was very hot to the touch also. To the point where it was painful to hold a finger on it. I strapped a 80mm fan blowing down on it and the problem was solved.

Ok well thats what im going to do i have a spare fan so i should put it to use thanks :)

Seems to have worked. It lowered the temps drastically, now I can hold my fingure on it no problem thanks everyone!

Back