• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange sound issue with ASRock 970 Extreme3.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MarkS

I built my system in September and immediately noticed a problem. At regular intervals, usually spaced 15 - 30 minutes apart, I'll hear what almost sounds like Morse code. It sounds like "dot dot dot, short pause, dot dot dot, short pause, dot dot dot". :shock: The sequence is rarely different from that, although, as I was typing this, I heard a rapid sequence of 8 - 10 "dots". It almost sounds like high frequency electrical arcing, but is coming through the speakers.

I've removed and re-seated the motherboard while looking for anything possibly causing a short, re-installed Windows and the sound drivers and just updated the BIOS, all with no effect. :bang head

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I'm guessing it has something to do with the on board sound circuitry.

Just checked and I have vs. 6.0.1.6378. Again, I think it is a hardware issue. :-/ I may just replace the board. I'm looking at the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD7 on NewEgg right now.

Last edited:
How quickly you give up and want to spend more money!

Is that the latest driver? If not, try it. If it is, roll back a version. Does this happen through speakers AND cans or just the speakers? Front panel audio used?

I mean lets try something first... :)

How quickly you give up and want to spend more money!

Is that the latest driver? If not, try it. If it is, roll back a version. Does this happen through speakers AND cans or just the speakers? Front panel audio used?

I mean lets try something first... :)

It isn't that I want to spend money, but I haven't been happy with this board from the start. I cannot afford to upgrade just yet, so I want to get this fixed, for the time being.

I'm downloading the 64-bit drivers right now. I don't think it will change anything, seeing as how it is the same version, but I'll try.

Updating the driver didn't help. It seems like a grounding issue. I noticed that I heard similar interference when I made a call on my cell phone.

OK, this is too funny! It was my pair of external speakers!

After trying everything to no avail, I had the idea to plug in my headphones directly into the computer and to leave the power to the speakers on. Sure enough, that was the answer! Shortly thereafter the sound was heard coming from the disconnected speakers.

I opened up the speakers and noticed that the diodes used for rectifying the AC power were mounted vertically and the exposed leads from two of them were about 1/32" (.79 mm) apart. More than close enough for the 11 volts AC to occasionally arc. Spreading them apart solved this.

At least it ins't an issue with the motherboard!

Back