• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED will my ram I ordered work with my new motherboard.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

P4P45MURF87

Registered
So I have been ordering parts to completely rebuild my pc for everything but my case and hdd. I got the motherboard and ram the other day and while it does list the brand of ram I bought on the compatability list it only list lower end models of that particular brand. Will it still work or do I need to buy a different brand of ram. What I have.

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 AM3+, DDR3 1866MHz

AMD FX-8350 8-core, 4GHz, 16MB, 125W, unlocked

Patriot Viper 3 Black Mamba 32GB(4X8GB), DDR3, 1866MHz

Asus GeForce GTX 660 - GTX660-DC2-2GD5

Can other ram besides whats on the manual approved list work?
I don't want to open up the ram if not.

Side note could I also get a recomendation for a good liquid cooling system for my CPU.

The compatibility charts only show what they TESTED. It does not mean kits that are not on the list will not work. You will be fine. I wonder though why you are getting 32GB of ram...overkill for 99% of people (by far). Just make sure you can use it, otherwise, save some money and possibly upgrade that GPU if you game on it.

Corsair H100i is a solid AIO cooler.

Thanks for the help. I know 32 gigs is overkill I am working on college for physics digital animation while in the military so I did go overkill on some stuff mostly because I could. As for the GPU I have more of them coming will be runing one right now and it has the 2 gigs of video ram but i have 3 more coming in to run in SLI.

Wow monster rig but.... christ, for that money it would have been better (performance wise) to go:

Intel (Z77 and 3770K or 3930K and X79)
2 Higher end cards instead of 4 midrange (scaling in quad SLI/Crossfire is terrible)

How many monitors are these 4 cards running?

Id still go 2 7970's or 680's. Quad SLI/Crossfire is a bear man... not worth the hassle. If you need the horsepower for calculations, I would grab 2 690's instead.

Anyway, sorry to beat on the build... just want to show the big picture and you can move on it (or not) from there. :)

Hey no problem at all man the my current pc I have. I built back when the XFX first came out with there Nvidea 9800GSO, and I haven't really kept myself up to date on parts since then. So all advice is nice.

Oops, thought I answered that! Corsair H100i is a solid choice and will support middle of the road overclocks on that CPU (once it gets cranking it gets HOT).

Back