• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED MSI 970A-G46 won't boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

schmuselord1

Hello dear overclockers,

I received my new hardware today:

MSI 970A-G46
XFX 1GB Radeon HD7770 Dual Fan
8 GB GeIL DDR3 1333 Ram
Cougar A400/R PSU
AMD Phenom II x4 965

So, I managed to connect all parts together, along with my older HDD and booted the PC.
There was a BIOS message that CPU/RAM had been changed - so far so good. Then Windows 7 started and asked for my authentification password.

When I tried to type my password, the computer suddenly shut down. I tried to reboot it, but it wouldnt show me anything on my screen:
-all fans were running,
-no sound was coming
-power-/resetbutton weren't working anymore
-LED's were running - it showed that CPU was running in level 1

What I tried:
-CMOS resetting (didn't change the situation)
-switched RAM socket (no change)

Can anyone of you help me please? I was so extremely happy when those items came today :(
Thanks in advance and sorry for my English.

Last edited:
I just wanted to be clear of one thing before we start hardware troubleshooting.

Are you using an old Windows 7 installation from your last machine? Did you bring your old HDD or its contents over without re-installing Windows? I'm not sure why the reset switch would stop working if this is the issue, but I'll start with this just in case.

it showed that CPU was running in level 1 = What does the motherboard manual say that level 1 means to the operaition of the system?

Thx guys for your concerns. I solved the problem by using another power supply unit.
400W doesn't seem to be sufficient for my system. The site with the hardware suggestions was a failure.

Thanks for going back in and marking the thread {Solved} that can be a good search tool for finding real fixes and not mountains of less useful posts.

Cougar brand is new to the market. Cheaper power supplies than some other well known names. 400watts was on the border for enough oomph for your rig when I saw it, but now you know for real. Good luck with your rig. RGone...ster.

Thx guys for your concerns. I solved the problem by using another power supply unit.
400W doesn't seem to be sufficient for my system. The site with the hardware suggestions was a failure.

Back