• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8320 OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mtdewcowboy

I have been overclocking my pc alittle & so far here are my results
Cpu.PNG

Mem1.PNG

Mem2.PNG

Hardware.PNG

I have the Vcore set at 1.30
I have the multi set at 19.5
I have the FSB set to 205
I slowly worked up to where I am at now, running Prime 95 on blend for 30 mins each time I upped the overclock & had no issues
I am really surprised on how low the Vcore is & how high the clock is :clap:
I am going for around 4.2 to 4.3 for 24/7 & maybe see how high it will go on air :attn:

Not a bad overclock really. Temps for CPU and package look okay at that voltage and cpu speed. Using P95 Blend for 30 mins is okay as one moves up the cpu mhz scale. But once the speed one intends to run for 24/7 use is being approached, the P95 testing should increase to about 2 hours. I found this out the hard way by barely upping voltages and running short periods of P95 Blend and it failing at 55 mins due to low Vcore.

These cpus generally have a Vcore requirement that goes up in 'steps' as the speed increases by general speeds. Up to about or roughly 4.0Ghz you can run at more or less the stock/default Vcore. However after that 4.0Ghz, there will be needed an increase in Vcore at about 4.2Ghz. With most cpus it is a fairly substantial increase based on our previous next to n0 Vcore increase we have been getting by with.

If it were not for LLC supplying the 1.34V Vcore that is actually the Vcore needed to run at 4.0Ghz, your P95 runs would be failing. Since you have an overshoot of Vcore that is about 0.04 volts I am just guessing you are using the Ultra High or Extreme LLC settings. At least that is what my CHV would overshoot Vcore by if set on those LLC settings. Your Sabertooth R2.0 may be different.

I can run my FX-8350 at 4.5Ghz with actual bios Vcore set to 1.38V and LLC on High and my overshoot is never over 0.01V and is acceptable for me.

So be prepared to up the Vcore when pushing on to your 4.2/4.3Ghz you seek. It will have to happen.

I am going to take a guess here and say that since the Zambezi FX-8120's seemed to be at their best in speed to extra heat and Vcore to go faster at about 4.3Ghz, that the FX-8320 might go to 4.5Ghz before the law of dimishing returns sets in. Either cpu speed you settle on it is a sure thing the FX-8320 does more work clock for clock than than the FX-8120. I am well pleased with my FX-8350 overall. It does what "I" do about 12% faster than my FX-8120 did at the same speeds and that is good.

RGone...ster _____________:chair:

Last edited:
Ok here are some screen shots while Prime 95 was running for 2 hrs
I had 0 errors, Vcore was set to 1.35 in the bios & LLC set to regular
I think I may need to set it to med or high so my Vcore will stay at my set point
before I go any higher? The Sabertooth has lots of bios settings for voltages & I am still learning what does what
4ghz.PNG

4ghz1.PNG

4ghz2.PNG

4ghz3.PNG

mtdewcowboy said:
Vcore was set to 1.35 in the bios & LLC set to regular
I think I may need to set it to med or high so my Vcore will stay at my set point

You are correct about setting LLC to at least HIGH. You did not even get a min Vcore of 1.35 set in bios at any time during the testing. It started at 1.284Vcore and not the 1.35Vcore you set in bios.

I don't know how much the Sabertooth R2.0 board has changed from the Non-R2.0 board. I have a buddy that has the Non-R2.0 board and his settings closely but not exactly matched the settings of my CHV board with 8 core 8120 and now 8350. At my regular speed of 4.5Ghz and Vcore of 1.38V I don't drop below 1.38 before P95 starts to run and I don't see overshoot beyond 1.39Vcore when loaded.

I have to be honest that I have not tried other than HIGH and UPwards in setting LLC on the CHV. The CHV is set to open to the overclock the crap out of me mode and I have never even tried any lesser settings. I worked helping people overclock for about 9 mos before I ever got an FX processor and just went in the bios and made the settings to run 4.3Ghz the first time it booted to install windows 7. Yeah, I know but that is how I do things. No sense in messing around.

So after my descriptive rambling, I agree you need to raise LLC and I would try High next and see if you get 1.35 Vcore before the P95 Test even begins to run as shown in HWMon. Hopefully the Vcore will be 1.35 and not jump to 1.39Vcore under load. If it does that on High then that is 'just how' it will have to be since the more robust settings of LLC will likely make the overshoot even greater than 1.39Vcore.

Looks like you have a lot of testing to do to reach that 'happy spot'.

RGone...ster. _____________:chair:

Yep lots of testing :popcorn:
But that's the fun in all of this, figuring out what you need, not having someone tell you every step
:comp:

Yep lots of testing :popcorn:
But that's the fun in all of this, figuring out what you need, not having someone tell you every step
:comp:

Yes and I fully concur. You are about 1 out of 50 though coming into the forum that seek to develop real skills and know their rig so it seems. Congratulations to you sir.

RGoene...ster. :ty:

Well I am not getting anywhere with the power settings
I set it to 1.30 Vcore and high on the llc
Start up hw monitor and it shows 1.296
I run prime 95 and it bounces from 1.296 to 1.284
I can run prime for 2 hours without any errors and temps are 47 & 33

Here are some print screens of my bios
I have the Vcore set to 1.325 & in HW Monitor it shows 1.320 & when running prime it bounces from 1.320 to 1.308
Bios.PNG

Bios1.PNG

Bios2.PNG
Any help with the settings that you can see that may be off

start up hw monitor and it shows 1.296 = That start up Vcore is not too too bad since it is only 0.004 thousandths below the set Vcore. But that dropping to 1.284Vcore is not going to get it if you really begin to push the CPU hard. Dropping that far makes it harder to know what 'actual' Vcore is necessary.

Seems like you have a pretty decent CPU if it is running 4.0Ghz @ a dropped to 1.284Vcore. Try the next higher LLC for the cpu and post HWMonitor so can see how much the Vcore overshoots. If not over 0,05 above the Vcore you set in bios...then you will just have to live with the overshoot so you can begin to climb in speed again. Should not have to adjust LLC again if the next up setting does not overshoot more than I expected above but only have to adjust the actual Vcore to the cpu and live with overshoot since there is nothing you much can do about it, it seems. And you will run slightly less Vcore until a load comes on so that could be a good thing for you.

RGone...ster.

Good images from the F12 feature in bios.

That is what hits me in the face immediately.
Ai Overclock Tuner is set to D.O.C.P. and it is capable of screwing with settings not easily seen. There should be a "manual" setting in that location. Set manual and test again.

I am trying to see how low of a vcore I can get away with at this speed so later at higher clocks I will have more room to raise it
I guess im just being anal about this plus learning how my system reacts to changes

Ok stepped up the LLC and it over shoots from 1.320 to 1.44
I will leave it on high and take the 1.320 to 1.308
I can boost the vcore up as I need it when I increase the overclock

Ai Overclock Tuner is set to D.O.C.P. = did you disable that or go Manaual mode as suggested?

Whew, that is one heck of an LLC overshoot. You can only do what you can do though.

Ai Overclock Tuner is set to D.O.C.P. = did you disable that or go Manaual mode as suggested?

Whew, that is one heck of an LLC overshoot. You can only do what you can do though.

Yes I set the Ai to manual
So far I am really happy with overclock, going to up it to 4.1 & see if I need some more Vcore
Thanks for steering me in the right direction

Well I have been having issues at the 4.2Ghz mark & I think I know why
I still have the 0803 bios not the new 1302 that supports the 8320 chip :facepalm:
Going flash the bios & see what happens

Last edited:
Later bios maybe the way to go. I am still using and plan to continue to use a bios for Bulldozer with my 8350 but I have the CHV non-Z board. Your R2.0 board may need later bios. Good luck with the flash.

Flashed the bios but have not tried anything over 4.1Ghz yet
Been busy with computer repairs that do on the side for extra $$$$
It payed for my rig now & then some

Update

Ok I have been doing some tests
Running more FSB & less multi
Running more mulit & less FSB
More Vcore Less Vcore
Finally I set the ram to 1600 & changed HT & NB from auto to 2100 then set multi @ 18.0 and FSB to 234 with a Vcore of 1.344 & ram set to 1.55
Cpu.PNG

Mem.PNG

Spd.PNG

Hware.PNG
It seems that changing the HT & NB higher, was running 2100 in auto, helped with temps & a stable OC
Now to tweak it for 4.3Ghz :attn:
I am learning alittle more every time I make changes
I found that my ram was not liking going over 1900 without a bump in voltage
I see there is more than one way to overclock & how you go about doing it is endless.:clap:

Back