• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Board is a better Board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

klewlis1

Registered
I currently own a ASUS M5A88-V EVO AM3+ board and its been a very nice board to me, but 1 of my pci slots went out the other day and it was the one furthest from my vid card a gtx 670 ftw 4 gb card.
so i had to move my Asus DG sound card to the slot right next to my video card and its so close you prolly couldnt slip a piece of paper between the 2 of them so i'm kinda worried about heat.
Ok heres my delemia my friend has a ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AMD 980FX thats brand new in the box and never been opened and he will sell it to me for $80 should i buy it and is it a better board then the one i currently use?
I dont have any xtra money laying around to spend on a newer board i have $97.50 to spend on a board and thats it no more or my wife will well you know if ya married what they can do :)
Sorry this is so long!!!!. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!!!

Have you contacted Asus to see if they'll repair or replace it? Probably worth a shot. The Crosshair is a pretty good motherboard. I'd say it's worth $80 especially since you're in a bind.

Yeah and they wont because i bought the board as a refurb, its lasted me well worth its time length almost 2 years and i only paid $60 for it from Geeks.com. I was just wanting to get a few opinions first. I plan on building a new rig sometime next year so i just need it to last for awhile.

I have never used a 890 chipset before and don't really know that much about them but i at least figured it was better then the 880 i'm usung with my older board.

For Phenom II chips, it doesn't get much better than that Crosshair IV Formula, if it gets better at all.
That's a very solid board for PhII stuff.

Thats nice to hear. I have a 960T oc'd to 4.2 GHz but also have a 6 core 1045T i was thinking about throwing in there but im not sure which would be better, My 960T wont unlock but it overclocks like a beast and i have never even opened the 1045T. I'll prolly sell the 960 and just use the 1045, i'd really love to find a 1090T or a 1100 to throw in the new board.!!!!
Thanks for the info Bobnova!!!!

Thats nice to hear. I have a 960T oc'd to 4.2 GHz but also have a 6 core 1045T i was thinking about throwing in there but im not sure which would be better, My 960T wont unlock but it overclocks like a beast and i have never even opened the 1045T. I'll prolly sell the 960 and just use the 1045, i'd really love to find a 1090T or a 1100 to throw in the new board.!!!!
Thanks for the info Bobnova!!!!

Hi Klewlis. Your first post is unclear to me , but it sounds like you can get the CHIV for ~$90 and the 980 for $80? The CHIV is pretty much unbeatable for PHIIs, but if it is $90 (used)for it that is a bit on the steep side IMO. $50 would be a steal. I thought I saw them on Geeks recently for less than $90. The 960t you have is far and away superior to the 980- disregard the higher part#, the 960 was the last and best of the P2s , so I would say no way to getting that 980 unless you are starting a CPU museum... As far as using the 1045t, it depends on what you want to do. I would not be able to resist at least tossing it in and messing around with it, but if you are gaming with your PC the 960 is going to perform the best, unless you have some "Golden" 1045 that can OC up near where that 960 is, the extra but much slower 2 cores won't help anything. I would not even consider keeping the 1045 over the 960, that is an easy choice. Good luck with your "Band-Aid upgrade". :salute:

no i was saying my best friend has a CHIV brand new unopened in the box for $80 and i was saying that all the money i had to spend on a motherboard was $97.50 and i was wanting to know if it was a better mobo then my current M5A88-V EVO. I also said i'm using a AMD 960T @4.2 ghz. I also have a AMD 1045T unopened and was wondering if i should use that if i decide to buy the CHIV from my friend. And yes i use the 960T ,aimly for gaming but i also use it for everything else, browsing, watching movies

I see. $80 for NIB CHIV is a fair deal. Also, were you perhaps referring to a 980t, and not a 980 FX as you had posted? 980t is of course a higher binned version of a 960t, and a 980FX is one of the first? generation P2s. AMD really needs to get something rational going with their naming regiment- seriously. If it is a 980t you may or may not get a better OC out of it than your 960t, the difference being that the 980t runs at a higher speed at stock voltages. In the P2s it seems that the higher binned CPUs had about the same ceiling potential when OCing as the standard binnings of each chip. This appears to not be the case with the new FX series- my FX-4170 can easily hit OCs at stock voltages that require really pushing the core voltage on most 4100s to hit, if they can come close at all and this appears to be the norm from what I read. At any rate, even if it is indeed a 980t I would probably stick with your 960t as it is unlikely you would see any better performance. Patch your rig up as cheap as possible if you plan a complete overhaul in the not too distant future.

Last edited:
Nope sorry my cpu is a AMD 960T quad core capable of being unlocked to a 6 core its actually a Thuban with 2 cores locked out so you can use them but some of them can be unlocked toa 6 core aand even a 5 core but i didnt get that lucky its just a 4 core but it overclocks really high at 4.2 ghz from 3.0 ghz.

was talkinng about the chipset on the board as the 890 and the 960T IS MY CPU I USE ATM

Doh-1-PV1LXGX876-1024x768.jpg

I think i'd go with the chiv myself, fair price for new old stock and it's a known good board.

Yeah i think im gonna grab that Chiv also, hell i cant beat the price and that can hold me off till i switch over to intel if AMD don't step there game up!!! Thanks guys for all the help and support.

Back