• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problematic motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Engie

A week or so ago my PC crashed for an unapparent reason, the screen wen black and the PC tried to reboot but there was no signal to the display. I noticed that no fans connected to the motherboard were spinning, only the ones connecter to the PSU. So I thought the motherboard had died. I had another motherboard with the same socket, memory types etc. so I tried swapping the motherboards, I installed everything on the new motherboard, tried to boot it but it didn't work. then I swapped back to the original motherboard and al of a sudden it booted and worded fine. Until about 48 hours later when I tried to play games on it, then it crashed after about 20 - 30 minutes or at random after 2 - 3 hours. And it kept crashing everytime I played a game on it, the screen would go black and a second or so after that, the sound would go and the PC would reboot and work fine again.

And now it crashed again, and the symptoms are the same as the initial crash, the motherboard connected fans wont work, and neither will the graphics card fan. But the standby light on the motherboard still lights up, so I'm guessing it's still getting power.

So far I have tested changing the CMOS battery and leaving the PSU of for 10 minutes or so. But I haven't gotten anything from it.

System specs:

Mobo: Asus M4n98td EVO
CPU: AMD Phenom II 960T
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 550 Ti
Boot drive: A-Data 128 GB SSD

So, what do you guys think may be the problem? I'm guessing the PSU or the Mobo...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sounds like perhaps a heat related failure. I would guess power supply firstly and then as you said, the mobo.

I doubt it's a heat related issue, my cpu was idleing at 17 degrees C and my motherboard was around 30. But yeah, I'm going to bet it's the PSU. Thanks for the help.

Back