• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Resetting asrock bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Macmaster4k2

Registered
Hello,

I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I have an asrock 990fx extreme3 mobo and was wondering if you guys knew how to reset the bios to default factory settings. My linux buddy changed it to where a screen will pop up after the the initial boot screen (the asrock background with the esc, f12, etc. options) that has me choose my os drive. it is blue lettering with a black background to it. He said to get rid of it all i need to do is just reset my bios, this true?

Last edited:
Sounds like you just need to go into bios and select "Quick Boot" from the boot options.

I didnt see that option in there.
Here is a picture of what i am talking about, this is what i would like to get rid of:

Attachments

• IMAG0004.jpg
    IMAG0004.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,115
That is GRUB (a bootloader, and a very old version at that). Resetting the BIOS will not remove it.

What are you trying to do? Do you need Windows to be the default option?

Originally, my friend set it up so i can mess around with linux and still be able to have my windows option. I am going to be upgrading my HHD for my windows drive to an SSD and it has just become a nuisance when booting up because it has a 3 second timer that will boot the linux drive if i dont change it, plus i dont use the linux drive anymore

"thideras" will likely check back later and he does Linux. I thought Linux was a Charley Brown character. So I am not one to guess at anything in the Grub Loader. I do think it would be much better for you to post as much about how you have your hard drives curently attached to motherboard so that "thideras" will have enough information to give you good 'fix' information.

RGone

okay, i shall restart my comp and upload pictures of my settings, will that work?

Nah, no screenshots needed, we can do this blind. :cool:

Originally, my friend set it up so i can mess around with linux and still be able to have my windows option. I am going to be upgrading my HHD for my windows drive to an SSD and it has just become a nuisance when booting up because it has a 3 second timer that will boot the linux drive if i dont change it, plus i dont use the linux drive anymore
If you are going to be upgrading to a SSD, then this will be easy to fix. When you get the SSD, unplug all other drives and install on the new disk. This will install the Windows bootloader to the SSD. Once you are done, plug the other drives in, go into your BIOS (usually the DEL key, but it should tell you at the splash screen or in the manual), and put the SSD at the top of the boot order. From there, report back and I can help you get the drive "fixed" (remove the other partitions, etc).

But for now, you can set Windows as the default pretty easily, as long as you know how to login as root into Arch. Boot up the Linux install, if you know how to get to a command line through the UI (if it has one), do that and log in as root ("su - root"). Otherwise, press CTRL + ALT + F1 to get to a shell prompt, log in as root. We need to edit the grub.conf file and change the default option. Type the following:

Code:
nano /boot/grub/grub.cfg
This will open the file in a text editor. Use the arrows keys to get down to the option "default=0", change this to:

Code:
default=2
If there is not an option called "timeout=", add one on a new line, like so:
Code:
default=2
[COLOR=Red][B]timeout=5[/B][/COLOR]
If you didn't have this option before, it puts a time limit on how long it will sit at the bootloader before picking the default option (which we just changed to Windows).

Press "CTRL + x" to exit, "y" to save the changes, and press enter to confirm. Type "shutdown -r now" or "reboot" to reboot the system. It should now boot into Windows by default. You will still get the screen in the picture and you can still get into Linux if you wanted to, but you don't have to manually change the option every time you restart.

EDIT: I have no idea how new you are to Linux, so don't feel insulted, but don't type the quotes on the commands I gave.

Last edited:
Problem Solved! thank you very much, Thideras. The problem was actually a lot simpler than i expected it to be. Now i know what a bootloader is and that it is different from the bios.
The fix was what you posted, installed windows on the ssd and had that be the first boot drive, i also reformatted my hhds to be for storage.

Back