• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Next level, Overclock help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

buttAcup

Registered
Hello! I am not new to overclocking but I'd like to take it a little further. I just recently upgraded motherboards. I was overclocking on a micro atx mobo and I only needed to mess with the clock multiplier, I've never had to mess with the voltage and that is where I think I am running into trouble. Here are my parts and temps after prime95 for 20min. I am sitting at 4.4GHz now. So let me know. Also I tried overclocking my ram from 1600Mhz to 1866MHz but it had a boot failure.

capturevjjc.png

Well being a lot cautious here but the Voltages on the 3.3v, 5v, 12v lines don't look to good! But as before it could been a HWM glitch guy's, tried to find a full review of the Apevia 700w by the major people. Can not find any at all at this stage. AJ. :shrug: :-/

Well being a lot cautious here but the Voltages on the 3.3v, 5v, 12v lines don't look to good! But as before it could been a HWM glitch guy's, tried to find a full review of the Apevia 700w by the major people. Can not find any at all at this stage. AJ. :shrug: :-/

What should they be?

In light of the possibility of HWM glitching, I pulled the voltage information from the BIOS itself.
CPU Vcore~ 1.392
Dram Voltage~ 1.488
+3.3v~ 3.324v
+5v~ 5.160v
+12v~ 12.168v

That's more like it hence the word of caution yes i have been caught out before like that! The true answer is + or - 5% of the value .i.e. 12v + 5% = 12.6v or 11.4volts OK. AJ.

Last edited:
That's more like it hence the word of caution yes i have been caught out before like that! The true answer is + or - 5% of the value .i.e. 12v + 5% = 12.6v or 11.4volts OK. AJ.

I still have no idea how to proceed.

Hey i can reassure you everything is fine no problems at all just a software glitch OK. All you have to do here is wait till one of the AMD Guy's shows up then they will help you. I was just checking you voltages just in case there was any problem, but its perfectly OK.
As for you overclock they will explain it to you better than me. AJ.

Hey i can reassure you everything is fine no problems at all just a software glitch OK. All you have to do here is wait till one of the AMD Guy's shows up then they will help you. I was just checking you voltages just in case there was any problem, but its perfectly OK.
As for you overclock they will explain it to you better than me. AJ.

Oh alright!

Just wait till Trents or Rgone shows up the are really great at OCing AMD CPU'S Best of luck. AJ.

1. HWMonitor does not show any bad situations except for the power supply voltages. And they are strange. What happens is we see such and 'wonder' if there are other glitches in that version of HWMonitor and what else it reports. Are the other numbers given for temps etc accurate? Likely so but that doubt remains. Is the latest HWMonitor in use?

2. OP raises question about having to change voltages to cpu etc, but if P95 Blend is not failing at 20 mins at current 4.4Ghz and temps remain the same or there are not any great rises in temps over a 2 hour run of P95 Blend then could pretty much say the setup is okay as configured.

3. This is what "dtrunk" is referring to about additional screen captures as illustrated below. Makes answering about overclocking an AMD cpu easier.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

Here we go. Sorry, I forgot to include CPU-Z, I have not posted here in awhile.

Edit: Yes that is a fresh HWmonitor download. So I assume its latest.

Attachments

• CPU.PNG
    CPU.PNG
    43.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Memory.PNG
    Memory.PNG
    33.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Spd.PNG
    Spd.PNG
    34.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Without the other three captures we would not be able to help you with your ram at all. Now I can see the "Memory" Tab and know you are in single channel mode meaning you have your two sticks of DDR3 1866 ram on the same memory channel and AMD says only 1 stick PER channel for DDR1866 suport.

Look in your manual and find which ram slots are to used to put 2 sticks in dual channel mode. That should allow setting the ram to the DDR1866 speed if the board and ram get along. QVL at Asus site should speak to the board and ram playing nice.

Otherwise I think I will stick with what I wrote earlier.
RGone said:
1. HWMonitor does not show any bad situations except for the power supply voltages. And they are strange. What happens is we see such and 'wonder' if there are other glitches in that version of HWMonitor and what else it reports. Are the other numbers given for temps etc accurate? Likely so but that doubt remains. Is the latest HWMonitor in use?

2. OP raises question about having to change voltages to cpu etc, but if P95 Blend is not failing at 20 mins at current 4.4Ghz and temps remain the same or there are not any great rises in temps over a 2 hour run of P95 Blend then could pretty much say the setup is okay as configured.

Without the other three captures we would not be able to help you with your ram at all. Now I can see the "Memory" Tab and know you are in single channel mode meaning you have your two sticks of DDR3 1866 ram on the same memory channel and AMD says only 1 stick PER channel for DDR1866 suport.

Look in your manual and find which ram slots are to used to put 2 sticks in dual channel mode. That should allow setting the ram to the DDR1866 speed if the board and ram get along. QVL at Asus site should speak to the board and ram playing nice.

Otherwise I think I will stick with what I wrote earlier.

I'll correct the problem and do a two hour prime95 test and I'll get back to you.

I fixed the RAM problem so I am running in dual channel now but I am still experiencing boot failures. I asked about voltage changes because eventually I want to start clocking up to around 5GHz. Will I need to up the voltage? Should I do a prime95 test after each 100MHz overclock for 20min or 2 hours? What should I be looking out for?

Edit: Do I need to create a thread or have this thread moved in AMD CPU's seeing as I am more interested in overclocking my CPU?

Attachments

• IMG_1300.JPG
    IMG_1300.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 54
  • Mem.PNG
    Mem.PNG
    25.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Spd1.PNG
    Spd1.PNG
    27.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
When we have offered advice on Cpu Tweaking we have about 99% of the time suggested that ram voltage be increased by 0025 or 0.05 even on 1.5V ram. It so far in over 2 years of doing so has not created in problems we have been made aware of with the ram. It seems to help in stabilizing some ram. Might even make it more usable.

I see in the Ram section that you have Turbo selected for Performance Enhance. I have seen Turbo setting of ram create issues over the last 9 or 10 years. There are timings that Turbo changes that are not easily viewed and thus not recognized. I seldom select such an arbitrary setting but do my own tweaking in the ram settings menu if I feel my ram can be adjusted for more performance. RGone...

When we have offered advice on Cpu Tweaking we have about 99% of the time suggested that ram voltage be increased by 0025 or 0.05 even on 1.5V ram. It so far in over 2 years of doing so has not created in problems we have been made aware of with the ram. It seems to help in stabilizing some ram. Might even make it more usable.

I see in the Ram section that you have Turbo selected for Performance Enhance. I have seen Turbo setting of ram create issues over the last 9 or 10 years. There are timings that Turbo changes that are not easily viewed and thus not recognized. I seldom select such an arbitrary setting but do my own tweaking in the ram settings menu if I feel my ram can be adjusted for more performance. RGone...

I tried upping the ram voltage by the amount you specified and I was still have boot failures at 1866MHz. I did a 2 hours prime95 test and here are the results. Stable at 4.4GHz but when I went to 4.5GHz it failed within the first 5min of prime95 which is weird because on a different motherboard I was able to get to 4.7GHz stable.

Attachments

• test2.PNG
    test2.PNG
    32.7 KB · Views: 56
1. > Fails at 4.5Ghz and my thought would be more voltage to the cpu.

2. > Have you run Memtest86+ on that ram? It might be a good idea. To be safe. I don't see why it should not jump right on up to DDR1866.

3. > I am going to make a suggestion here since I know this user does use Gigabyte UD3 stuff. PM user Anonaru and give him link to this thread. Ask him to come by and give a looksee. You can tell him RGone told you to PM him. I know he is scrambling with the new year and his own business but I expect he will drop by and let us in on what maybe a mostly Gigabyte quirk. Might speed things up man. RGone...

1. > Fails at 4.5Ghz and my thought would be more voltage to the cpu.

2. > Have you run Memtest86+ on that ram? It might be a good idea. To be safe. I don't see why it should not jump right on up to DDR1866.
Edit: What exactly should I be looking for in the memtest?

3. > I am going to make a suggestion here since I know this user does use Gigabyte UD3 stuff. PM user Anonaru and give him link to this thread. Ask him to come by and give a looksee. You can tell him RGone told you to PM him. I know he is scrambling with the new year and his own business but I expect he will drop by and let us in on what maybe a mostly Gigabyte quirk. Might speed things up man. RGone...

1 - How much should I increase the voltage and what is the option called in the bios? There are a lot of different voltages I can change.

2 - No I have not run Memtest86+ on my ram. I will get back to you with an edit. I know what you mean, on my last board I bumped it right up to 1866 no problem.

3 - I sent a PM.

Back