• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED HD 7950 eyefinity cables & connections

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt2950

hi,
im looking into a 3 monitor setup and im running 7950 but after looking around it turns out its not a simple as just plugging in any cables so im a bit confused.
my card has
2 x dvi
1 x hdmi
1 x dp

so will using 1 x hdmi - hdmi
and 2 x dvi - hdmi work? or do i need to worry about active and passive connections?

That looks correct.

do you mind me asking what monitors you are going with?

i already have 1 asus ve247 so might get another 2 of them or get 3 of the asus vs247h.
the ve247 has 2ms response and the vs247h has 5ms, but ve247 has 10m to 1 contrast and the vs247h has 50m to 1.

both 23.6" (rounds to 24")

i found this in a google search

"There's no point. You only need the active conversion when you move to the equivalent of DL-DVI bandwidth. DP++ can send out single link DVI/HDMI signals through a passive adapter. The overwhelming majority of HDMI monitors either don't need the bandwidth HDMI 1.3/1.4 has, or cannot use full HDMI 1.3/1.4 bandwidth due to hardware limitations.

An active DP -> HDMI adapter has no purpose. Nothing uses it, and nothing needs it."

its this right? i dont need an active dp to hdmi adapter for £30 a could just get a passive one for a fiver?

link to quote http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2270188

according to AMD it has to be an active.

i found this in a google search

"There's no point. You only need the active conversion when you move to the equivalent of DL-DVI bandwidth. DP++ can send out single link DVI/HDMI signals through a passive padapter. The overwhelming majority of HDMI monitors either don't need the bandwidth HDMI 1.3/1.4 has, or cannot use full HDMI 1.3/1.4 bandwidth due to hardware limitations.

An active DP -> HDMI adapter has no purpose. Nothing uses it, and nothing needs it."

its this right? i dont need an active dp to hdmi adapter for £30 a could just get a passive one for a fiver?

link to quote http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2270188

The card can only output two DVI/HDMI signals at a time. That's why you need an active adapter for the third monitor as passive through the DP port won't work since you're already using both.

is there any difference between having everything to hdmi or dvi?
there seems to be loads of types of dvi (dvi-d, dvi-i, single and dual link ect)

Back