• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tips for quiet keyboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scibuff

Registered
Hi Guys,

I've tried 3 different keyboards, right now I have the microsoft curve 3000 but late at night when I'm typing my gf (who has a very light sleep) complains that she hears it from the bedroom next door.

Do you have any suggestions for a very quiet/silent keyboards. I don't hit the key frantically or anything but I would need to be able to type without virtually any noise.

I'm thinking a pc version of the apple keyboard (which I hate) could be one option - perhaps the Razer DeathStalker will do (I'd buy this one to play games too so I'm not gonna spend $80 just for a little more silent keyboard).

Or maybe another way to ask, what would a keyboard need to have to be more quiet than others?

Thank you

Get an old Dell QuietKey, but make sure it's the old one(white/gray with a ps/2 connection, the newer versions are black with a usb connection). They are very quiet but still nice to type on and very well made, big squishy dome style key switches. As long as you tap on it lightly, it should make little to no noise and you can find em on ebay for like $10 or less.

Hi, thanks for reading and for your reply, but I gotta ask, is that a joke or are your serious?

I wouldn't really mind that the keyboard looks to have been made in the stone age, but watching some youtube videos #1 #2, it is loud as hell.

I have one and it is quiet as hell, but then again I may have a different standard of quiet as I usually use a mechy keyboard with cherry mx blues, the loudest key switch known to man lol. Also in that first video the guy is really bashin on the keys, as long as you are hitting them softly they are quiet as the keys have no bottoming out noise.

Other options are laptop style keyboards like deashstalker but they are really unpleasant to type on imo. There's also something like maybe cherry mx blacks with o-ring silencers but this is expensive:

Also just in general getting in the habit of touch typing(as seen in the video) will help, and you can't really touch type on laptop style boards.

Back