• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amazon Prime

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SiLeNtCovenant

Hey guys~!

I'm debating if I wanna build a new computer or not, if I can find good/cheap parts on Amazon Prime, I'm down! Needing to pick up a cpu, mobo, and ram, possibly a psu as well.

Any suggestions? As for processor, I was looking at this one: AMD FX-8350. Kinda pricey, but the tech looks nice! :thup:

Assuming you were in my shoes, limited to shopping using Amazon Prime, what would you get? Trying to keep it around $500 or cheaper if possible.

EDIT: Decided on building an intel based pc, just 'cause!

Parts List:
CPU Intel i5-3570K $223.79
Mobo ASUS P8Z77-M $120.99
RAM Corsair Vengeance 8Gb(4x2) DDR3 1600 $44.99
PSU OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W $69.99

Sub Total: $459.76
Budget: $500
Remaining: $40.24

Tentative List:
Mobo Asus Maximus V Gene $210.52

Last edited:
Newegg does ship, but I'd imagine shipping charges are crazy.

What parts are right depends on what you plan to do with them :).

Why are you limited to Prime, because you're in Hawaii? Doesn't newegg's free shipping extend OCONUS?

Yup, out here in the middle of the Pacific, kinda sucks with shipping.

Newegg does ship, but I'd imagine shipping charges are crazy.

What parts are right depends on what you plan to do with them :).

Mostly gaming, I'm just looking for the best bang for my buck. I do seldom edit videos using After Effects/Premiere. I'm an AMD fanboy, but I'm open to whatever as long as the price is right.. :D

I was in exactly the same place as you SiLeNtCovenant,
I had a PII X4 965 and M3nHT deluxe board so I was looking at a ground up upgrade.
I priced out intel vs amd and give or take the FX 8350 system and the i5 2500k system were almost the same cost. :confused: around $500
So I had a choice to make.
1. I've always had AMD and am quite familiar with their workings. +1 AMD
2. I love gaming and the i5 rocks for games. +1 Intel
3. Both chips are unlocked and OC quite well. Even
4. I upgrade every couple of years and AMD caters to that. +1 AMD
5. Someone has to buy AMD just to keep Intel honest. +1 AMD

As you can see I do like AMD and did end up with the FX 8350. :thup: In the end it's your choice, both would be great systems. But I'm counting (hoping) on AMD to make the Steam Roller the next Athalon 64 and kick some serious *ss would be nice if Intel had to play catch up again. :bday:

But I mean, on your list, 1 and 5 are mostly emotional points. Then you have to add in that the Intel has a much superior performance-per-core, is significantly more power efficient, and because of that you can OC to the same levels using a much cheaper cooling solution.

If you're gaming or doing anything else that isn't highly threaded, go Intel. If whatever you're doing can use more than 4 threads, go AMD. It's that simple.

Essentially, fanboyism (towards AMD, Intel, or any company) is stupid. All it does is limit your options, introduce emotional bias into your decision, and throws a good bit of practicality out the window.

I'd just grab these:
Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Cmon Knufire that's a bit harsh isn't it. I have my reasons for sticking with AMD and wouldn't call myself a fanboy. I do alot of Bluray work which is quite intensive and will utilize the 8 core CPU and my GPU to their max.

Cmon Knufire that's a bit harsh isn't it. I have my reasons for sticking with AMD and wouldn't call myself a fanboy. I do alot of Bluray work which is quite intensive and will utilize the 8 core CPU and my GPU to their max.

I'll be doing some video editing, would the AMD cpu do better than the i5 Knufire recommended?
I'm a super AMD fanboy, look at both my cpu/gpus, in-fact I think my mobo has a amd north bridge too! :D
I'm open for anything, though. I'm not anti intel, I just feel I'm too poor for their fancy i7 processors. I'd love to have the best of the best, but I wanna stay within a reasonable price range too.. gots bills to pay.

I don't think Knufire meant us any offense, just saying that it's better to be open minded is all.

But I mean, on your list, 1 and 5 are mostly emotional points. Then you have to add in that the Intel has a much superior performance-per-core, is significantly more power efficient, and because of that you can OC to the same levels using a much cheaper cooling solution.

If you're gaming or doing anything else that isn't highly threaded, go Intel. If whatever you're doing can use more than 4 threads, go AMD. It's that simple.

Essentially, fanboyism (towards AMD, Intel, or any company) is stupid. All it does is limit your options, introduce emotional bias into your decision, and throws a good bit of practicality out the window.

I'd just grab these:
View attachment 121549

OH, might I add that I'd need a Micro ATX mobo, sorry, forgot to mention that. Just got me a new case for Micro ATX setups

That i5 looks delicious, kinda excited to finally get a new computer. This machine is almost 4 years old now! XP

May I also ask where it is you're posting your images? I'm at work at they're blocking a LOT, the image I posted doesn't show up while yours does. Thx!

Last edited:
You won't want to run an FX 8350 @ 125W in a micro case. The heat would definately be an issue just cause you headaches. The i5 that Knufire mentioned is only around 75W huge difference.

You won't want to run an FX 8350 @ 125W in a micro case. The heat would definately be an issue just cause you headaches. The i5 that Knufire mentioned is only around 75W huge difference.

Yeah, almost half, maybe that's why my current setup is so hot!! :D Alrighty, it's settled, I'm sticking with that i5 cpu, what about the mobo/ram? Can I stick with my old psu?

Was looking around Amazon and found this, kinda pricey but might be worth it: ASUS Maximus V Gene

If someone could help find something just as good but cheaper, I'm all ears

Last edited:
5. Someone has to buy AMD just to keep Intel honest. +1 AMD

Bad reasoning.

I do alot of Bluray work which is quite intensive and will utilize the 8 core CPU and my GPU to their max.

Good reasoning.

I think you get my point. Didn't mean any offense. :)

OH, might I add that I'd need a Micro ATX mobo, sorry, forgot to mention that. Just got me a new case for Micro ATX setups

http://www.amazon.com/P8Z77-M-PRO-I...F8&qid=1357789845&sr=8-1&keywords=P8Z77-M+Pro

May I also ask where it is you're posting your images? I'm at work at they're blocking a LOT, the image I posted doesn't show up while yours does. Thx!

I'm using the forums built in uploader.
OCFinsertimages.png

@ Knufire
I'll admit I was encouraging SilenCovenant a bit but he was already leaning towards the 8350, I did think the "stupid" comment was a bit over the top. :cry:
I got over it. I'm OK now. I will agree point #1 is totally personal but IMHO point #5 is valid. If AMD went out of business Intel would charge 3 or $400 for a chip like the 3570K not because they need to but just because they can. Competition is good even if the competitor is'nt that challenging ATM.
@ SilentCovenant
That's a nice board that Knufire recommended. For your setup a top of the line board would be a waste of $ I don't know how old or what your PSU is but if it's 4 yrs + like your system get a new one. You definately wouldn't want to fry your new shiny parts with a bad psu.
Check out this page at Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=
You may not want to order from them but you can do some comparisons, decide on how much you want to spend and read some reviews ( don't believe everything you read)
Then see if you can find it on amazon.

I'm using the forums built in uploader.

Oh, thanks! :D Saves me the trouble of uploading to another service to host.

@ Knufire
I'll admit I was encouraging SilenCovenant a bit but he was already leaning towards the 8350, I did think the "stupid" comment was a bit over the top. :cry:
I got over it. I'm OK now. I will agree point #1 is totally personal but IMHO point #5 is valid. If AMD went out of business Intel would charge 3 or $400 for a chip like the 3570K not because they need to but just because they can. Competition is good even if the competitor is'nt that challenging ATM.
@ SilentCovenant
That's a nice board that Knufire recommended. For your setup a top of the line board would be a waste of $ I don't know how old or what your PSU is but if it's 4 yrs + like your system get a new one. You definately wouldn't want to fry your new shiny parts with a bad psu.
Check out this page at Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=
You may not want to order from them but you can do some comparisons, decide on how much you want to spend and read some reviews ( don't believe everything you read)
Then see if you can find it on amazon.

Niiice, yeah, it's probably a good idea to get a new one.. Uhm, what would be a good psu to get and how many watts would I need? I was looking at this one: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W

I really like how it's modular, better cable management!

UPDATED PARTS LIST

Is 16Gb really necessary? I feel like I'm doing fine with my 8Gb, but would the extra ram improve the gaming performance?

Last edited:
The 8Gb kit will be plenty for gaming and the occasional video edit. It's also on the Mobo QVL so there shouldn't be any compatability issues.

Qualified Vendor list. Asus actually tested this memory and is known to be compatible. Some memory if not on the list can cause problems.

Every motherboard manufacturer makes that list...but they don't test every kit and rarely ever update the list.

Back