• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-F2A85X-UP4 video issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

S_I_N

Ok appealing to the masses here as its been along time since I have done AMD. I received my new setup yesterday.

Consisting of the following new parts
Gigabyte GA-F2A85X-UP4 motherboard
AMD A10 5800K CPU
LG 24x Optical drive

I'm using that I had from prior builds
4x4Gb GSkill Sniper 1866 memory
Intel 520 180Gb SSD
2x 300GB Seagate HDD's in Raid 0 (not installed yet)
Samsung SA27A750D

Here is the issue I'm having. Using onboard video for now via the HDMI port I will see the splash screen (most of it at least) then nothing. The monitor does not go black as in no signal it kinda had a glow to it like there is something there but it cant be displayed. I have even tried DVI. Now my monitor only had HDMI and Display-port on it. The DVI I used was DVI to HDMI. I grabbed my step sons monitor which had VGA and DVI on it and whallah I was able to see everything get into bios and even load windows 7. I went as far as to install AMD video drivers and my XFX 5770. If anything gets plugged into anything but the VGA if behaves as described above. I have put in an HDMI cable once into windows and the second monitor displayed the extended desktop.

I am at a loss for what is going on here. I did see there was a new bios available (didn't mention this issue as a fix) and I will flash to it and see if that corrects the issue. But as it didn't list this issue I'm not holding much hope lol.

Anybody have any ideas???? I really want to run discrete mid to upper gpu(s) on my monitor. After all this is Flagship AMD parts it should do HD with ease lol

Thanks for taking the time to look at this and please offer any assistance you can.

yup that was the only thing I found late last night. But it helped me to a degree. I grabbed an old VGA/DVI monitor from my step sons room and was able to get into bios and heck even load windows. But nothing I mean nothing worked to get the video output onto HDMI. I could plug an HDMI in after it booted with the VGA and then remove the VGA and all was good til reboot. This was with IGPU or discreet GPU

So this morning I set about a different and should not have to do approach. I mean come on this thing should post on any onboard connection right?? What I did (post win7 install and driver install) (BTW the driver install did nothing same issue) was go into bios and turn off the freaking IGPU let it boot into win7 after saving and exiting, I knew I was in windows because windows sound came thru speakers. Then shut it down via 6 second power button push method and then installed the 5770 I'm using for temp til my 6870 xfire arrives. And rebooted and saw splash screen, now I wasnt excited yet cause I had seen it a time or 2 before. But wait whats that. OMFG!!!! its the windows logo now that I hadnt seen at all via HDMI cable on my 27inch monitor. And OMFG!!! yes shes at desktop and ok let me reboot and see if this is a fluke. Nope she has rebooted several times now due to windows updates and what nots and is now running like she should.

Now for my next issue lmao i of course want to OC this puppy and see what she'll do. But I phear it cause normally a bad oc can lead to having to clear cmos. Which means I have to steal the steps monitor again and repeat the above process to get back to oc'n.

well new issue I cant get into bios. I'm assuming if I take the gpu out clear cmos (to restore IGPU) then I can but this aint no way to overclock lmao.

little update on this. After going out and buying a 80$ VGA to HDMI converter, that helped some but did not totally resolve the issue. I read some older post from back when UEFI was first intro'd and saw some say that AMD cards had this issue while Nvidia didnt. So I called a buddy who has a B&M store and asked what he had used laying around and he offered to loan me a Nvidia GPU for the weekend. SO I went and got a used 550ti. Guess what on HDMI and I can see the bios. SAWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!

ok another update thie above worked for awhile and well I R not a happy camper. SO this morning I called AMD and told them the issues I was having and they said yeah we have fixed that issue you probably got an older batch lets RMA it. I'm like ok cool lets get the ball rolling. Next I called Gigabyte they said while my issue was unique they had seen a similar issue and it required board replacement. So I'm like freaking great new parts both bad. I then called the Egg and told them I had spoken to both AMD and Gigabyte and what they advised me to do. The lady on the other end was like ok would you like a replacement rma or a refund. I was like ya know what after all the headaches this caused me last week I'd just like a refund so I can buy something else. She was ok hold a minute please, then came back and said I'm sorry but processors are under our replacement only policy. I was like damn is there nothing we can do. She offered to give me store credit for the proc and mobo, I said heck just give me store credit for both I'll be spending it there anyways (my computer addiction pays for itself). She was that will be fine hold a moment please. She came back and said I'll be sending you the RMA info via email shortly (1hourish) that will be followed roughly 2-24hrs later with a email with a prepaid shipping label for you. I was ok sweet. Then I asked the dreaded question, OK how much am I going to lose for restocking fees?? She was like sir we dont charge restock fees for defective parts, when they get here we will do a visual inspection of the parts and then submit for your store credit for full value. I was like sweet I'm happy camper again Thanks.

Now we have all heard the horror stories of them making things nu-refundable when they arrive. So I took lots of pictures of everything and even made a video of it all on my iPhone. Showing no damage to mobo or that not a single pin was out of place. Even took pics as I packed it up showing I packed it better than when it was shipped to me lmao.

yup trying to decide what to do with 260$ store credit lol. Buy another cpu/mobo combo or put another 60$ at it and get a second 7950 for xfire :D

Back