• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do most games support 2560x1600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For the newer games there is a lot of such "highest resolution" support. However, amongst all games ever released for the past 10 years (2003-2013), the easyest way to bring them all under the same pot of resolution is to use 1080P. Its surely the resolution with highest versatility and with the best quality/performance ratio. Just saying because for me the max compatibility is more important than raw quality and on top of that, the quality of your monitor will play a bigger role than the raw resolution. Especially the moving picture sharpness is important to gamers but even today, many cheap screens got issues handing out accurate sharpness when the picture is moving quick. The reaction time doesnt say much, because reaction time can be fooled dependable on the level of measurement. So what we really need is the stuff we truly are able to see at the front of the panel, nothing different.

Last edited:
For the newer games there is a lot of such "highest resolution" support. However, amongst all games ever released for the past 10 years (2003-2013), the easyest way to bring them all under the same pot of resolution is to use 1080P. Its surely the resolution with highest versatility and with the best quality/performance ratio. Just saying because for me the max compatibility is more important than raw quality and on top of that, the quality of your monitor will play a bigger role than the raw resolution. Especially the moving picture sharpness is important to gamers but even today, many cheap screens got issues handing out accurate sharpness when the picture is moving quick. The reaction time doesnt say much, because reaction time can be fooled dependable on the level of measurement. So what we really need is the stuff we truly are able to see at the front of the panel, nothing different.

+1

I also would love to get a higher resolution screen, even run eyefinity. But I always conclude my investigation with just wanting one very nice 1080 monitor.

I hope 4k works out soon.

Do most games of the last few years support 2560x1600

To make things quick: no they don't :rofl:

Most of them only duplicate pixels (instead of having one green pixel, you have two). :sly:

Regarding what Ivy said: yes, reverse ghosting is an issue that must be avoided and an higher resolution screen suffering from it is still a bad screen.

I would say that high resolution in the display technology is almost the same trap than the 5.1 - 7.1 in audio :)
Just don't fall into the marketing traps, consider quality and your real needs and everything will be fine :thup:

Well truth is, only few games truly benefits from above 1080P because they are not optimized for higher resolutions in mind. Today the cross compatibiltity with consoles is way more important to the devs than raw tech enthusiasm. A 1080P screen got lesser reaction time problems than a even higher resolution screen, even when both screens are at exact same quality. However, generally many 1080P screens may exceed the quality of a higher resolution screen and simply behave much better for gamers than the even higher ones.

Most games wont truly make use of it (higher than 1080P resolution), yes they do support it, but it doesnt mean that they will add more picture infos. Instead they may only make some sort of upscaling, but that upscaling is on the pixel level, not on the resolution level, so its a higher grade of upscaling. When it comes to the question if it will add more picture details, only a very few may truly show some benefit from. But as long as the high resolution screen is weaker than a possible 1080P one, it may not be a big bonus to the eyes.

Back