• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2013 build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AdamMischel

Registered
This would be my second PC build, the first being 3 years ago with little to no experience. I was wondering if anyone would change this future build or if they had any comments about it.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wzOl

-CPU: i7 3770k
-CPU Cooler: H100i
-MB: Maximus V Formula
-Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 (16GB)
-GPU: EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked Signature 2
-SDD (boot drive): OCZ 4 128GB
-HDD (storage drive): WD Cavier Black 1TB
-PSU: Corsair 860i
-Case: NZXT Switch 810

I will be using this build mostly for gaming (FPS and MMO)
I'm trying to future proof as much as I can without spending above $2500
The budget will only include a monitor, peripherals and and Windows will be seperate
I am from the US and currently not living near a Microcenter
OC: yes
Build: the more quiet the better
SLI: if it fits the budget

Last edited:
Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!

• What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
  • What is your budget?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.

Once again, thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

Looks good to me...

but the 680 is barely different than the 670 for a ton more money.

Also something about the Formula that people on here usually complain at people about it being mismarketed/misrepresented, I don't exactly know why/what, though.

$2500 is massively overkill.

Put it this way, you could, built a $1500 machine that maxes out any game on the market. Two or three years from now, you can spend that $1000 for a new CPU/mothrboard/RAM/GPU of the latest tech. That's MUCH more futureproofed than spending the entire budget now.

Looks good to me...

but the 680 is barely different than the 670 for a ton more money.

Also something about the Formula that people on here usually complain at people about it being mismarketed/misrepresented, I don't exactly know why/what, though.

I actually have a question about the memory: will I see a big difference between 1600, 1866, 2133 or 2400 speeds?

Indeed RAM speed doesn't matter much people just usually pick a random brand as their favorite, I would look at warranties, G Skill has lifetime I do believe... Personally I like my Corsair, but RAM is RAM is RAM.

IMO, you should most definitely wait until the Nvidia 700 Series releases sometime in Q2 this year. Then maybe you could SLI 780s or 770s...and later grab a 2560x1440 LED IPS monitor. :)

Also, From what I know, i5's >= I7s when it comes to gaming since games don't support Hyper-threading. I'd ditch the i7 and grab an i5 instead.

You're going to want to swap out the Corsair H100's fans, as they are quite loud. I suggest Arctic Cooling F12s and Cooler Master SickleFlows. The F12s are pretty much silent. The CMs move more air, but are a bit louder (although they are still very quiet up to around 80%)

Last edited:
DDR 3 1600MHz is the sweet spot you don't gain much after that with today's technology.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-

QUOTE: choosing-the-best-ddr3/8
We also found that memory bandwidth does scale with CPU clock speed; however, it still doesn't translate into any meaningful real-world performance. The sweet spot still appears to be DDR3-1600. All of the extra performance gained by overclocking almost certainly comes from the CPU overclock itself and not from the extra memory bandwidth

Would you be interested in triple monitor gaming? You have the budget for it, do you have the desk space?

Triple Monitor Build:

Single Monitor Build:

i definitely would love triple monitoring if i had the desk space.
all in all i think my 2500 budget was a bit over the top haha

i have concluded i will most likely have this as my build.

another concern i had was if i were to end up playing ffxiv again (if it happens to be better than before heh) then i would love to play it on or as close to max settings

any suggestions on what components i would need for max settings on FFXIV?

these kind of forums should have the ffxiv benchmark with the different gpus/cpus

Back