• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M5A99FX-PRO-R2.0 OC Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phitat

Registered
I just got the Asus M5A99FX-PRO-R2.0, and I've been trying to get it stable at 4.0GHz but after about 15 min. it keeps on crashing (BOSD).

I have pretty much everything at factory setting, the only thing I changed is the multiplier and the CPU voltage, Cool 'N Quite is disabled, HT Link is at 2200MHz, NB Frequency is at 2600MHz, the DRAM voltage is currently at 1.85. Anything I can do or is there a guide for OCing with this motherboard? Thank.

Last edited:
Too too many motherboards for anyone to focus only on one mobo. There are few that remain here and steadily help, so that means they will only have the boards they use when helping others. Not all of the 100 AMD boards in production now.

Here is link to overclocking guide that includes the 6 core Thubans.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596023
You have to have some very old ram to be running it a 1.85V. Most of the later boards are built for 1.5V ram and certainly the M5A99FX-PRO R2.0 is a later board. Without good information it is hard to say what is what. Ram part number is a good thing for those helping to know.

You have to have some very old ram to be running it a 1.85V. Most of the later boards are built for 1.5V ram and certainly the M5A99FX-PRO R2.0 is a later board. Without good information it is hard to say what is what. Ram part number is a good thing for those helping to know.

Agreed. Your RAM running at 1.85v could be a problem. After introducing a new motherboard, there are a number of things that could be causing BSODs. The good news is, it's probably not a hardware failure since I'm assuming your other components have been running fine for a while. However, it could be a problem of hardware compatibility. Your particular RAM might not be compatible with your new motherboard. You should definitely run Memtest to make sure that your RAM is working okay. You should also set everything back to stock and run Prime95 blend for a while to see if it's stable. If your system is not stable at stock speeds then you have a hardware problem and need to address that before attempting any overclock.

My RAM is pretty old and it was pretty cheap when I bought it 2 motherboards ago... my system does show to be 8 gb of RAM available running at 1333 MHz. Should I get new RAM?

My RAM is pretty old and it was pretty cheap when I bought it 2 motherboards ago... my system does show to be 8 gb of RAM available running at 1333 MHz. Should I get new RAM?

First check your motherboard's compatibility and see if it can even handle RAM at 1.85v and if Patriot is on the list of compatible RAM. Asus should have info about that on their website.

Finally got it to work right. Turns out the RAM wasn't the problem, it was that my cores were underpowered, which is kinda weird since I thought BOSD was a RAM issue. Btw HWMonitorPro shows that CPU temperature is up to 65 C under full load, is this a good thing? Both my HT Link and NB is at 2000MHz.

Back