• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Windows shuts down but pc remains on

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
I installed my CHV motherboard this week and did a fresh install of windows. Specs are in my signature, I haven't put my finger on it exactly yet, but it seems like any time I do either an install of a program or change something such as adding CPU V Core through Ai Suite. When I shut down the PC windows closes but everything else stays running. Any ideas?

Make sure the BIOS has ACPI enabled, and "Plug and Play Operating System" set to yes (if that option still exists).

^Good advice.

If that isn't it, when you shut down, look at the time on your PC. After it hangs closing out windows, I'd go ahead and restart the machine, then go into the event viewer. If you review the system or application event logs at the time of shut down, it may have more information about a process or service not shutting down properly?

Make sure the BIOS has ACPI enabled, and "Plug and Play Operating System" set to yes (if that option still exists).
I'm do you mean ACHI? if so yes it's enabled, just an fyi I also have 2 other hd hooked up is there a setting that I may have to set for them? Plug and Play OS? I don't recall a setting for that I'll look back in the BIOS>

If that isn't it, when you shut down, look at the time on your PC. After it hangs closing out windows, I'd go ahead and restart the machine, then go into the event viewer. If you review the system or application event logs at the time of shut down, it may have more information about a process or service not shutting down properly?
I looked through the event viewer at the time I last had the issue, would it show up as an error or warning? Everything in each system and application E logs was just "information".

Also, in order to shut the pc down when this happens I have to hold the power button. Then I will not start back up unless I hit the reset button on the CHV board.

this may sound odd but change usb ports for mouse/keyboard try to use the 2.0 slots instead of the 3.0 slots...

No. First, there's no ACHI. It's AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface). Second, I meant ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface).
Sorry petty that's what I meant. I looked through the bios and I didn't see anything related to ACPI, I will look more closely. I was thinking, with the 2 other hard drives connected. Should I put them in sata ports 5 and 6 and then change 5 and 6 to IDE from AHCI?
this may sound odd but change usb ports for mouse/keyboard try to use the 2.0 slots instead of the 3.0 slots...
I already have them in the 2.0 slots. I was getting no keyboard and mouse error messages before startup when they were in 3.0. So no it's not odd. Thanks

IMOG it's 1605.

I did figure something out about APCI, from what I gathered, in the UEFI bios it's called APM. I looked in this setting and I have ERP Ready set at disabled. This brings up 4 sub-categories. The 1st one is Restore A/C power loss which is set to "power off", the other 3 are set to disabled.

ERP Ready set at disabled

Try enabling that. It should have no effect on overclocking, as it is mainly about powering off USB ports and fans and such when the system is in sleep, but it might also be affecting the ability to automatically power off after shutdown.

Try enabling that. It should have no effect on overclocking, as it is mainly about powering off USB ports and fans and such when the system is in sleep, but it might also be affecting the ability to automatically power off after shutdown.
Will do. I'll post back if it stays on again, of course today, so far it hasn't stayed on.

Mandrake4565, this is one of the issues I had with three of five chv-f boards when i would get the fsb above 240. I have given up trying to correct it and rma'ed the boards.
the other symptums were phantom voltage and fan warnings with the fsb above 240.

Thanks Caddie, because I was starting my OC'ing all over again, I was testing the multi first. I was running it at 4.6 on the multi only. I am also getting the phantom voltage warnings, but I wasn't concerned. I tested the PSU with a multimeter and all is well. I would hope so considering it is a Seasonic X series. I'm running at at stock settings for now to see if the problem happens again. I did look through the event viewer, as IMOG said and saw under the Administrative events and saw a bunch of warnings about the Intel 82583 Gigabit Network Connection "network link disconnected". So I updated the drivers. Well see if it happens again. Thanks

mine would also not load the lan driver I tried updateing and back dateing drivers and nothing would work for me.
on another note, Rgone and I have found that the last bulldozer bios works the best for us.

This sounds very odd, I had an issue where my pc would be 10/15mins closing down time, where it would just stay on the screen Windows is shutting down.

That turned out to be a defective harddrive.

the chv-f is known for this issue, i even changed out the ssd for an hdd with a fresh install, swapped out ram, used every bios and all the drivers i could find.
researching on the net I found this is a common issue with this board.

mine would also not load the lan driver I tried updateing and back dateing drivers and nothing would work for me.
on another note, Rgone and I have found that the last bulldozer bios works the best for us.

which one is that 1102? I think I remember Rgone mentioning that was the one he used.

I think it is 1102, my overclocking board is being rma'ed right now so i have no way to be sure.
Try pming Rgone as his is still on the bench.

The first bios of 2012 for that board and have not used another. I use the Usb stick method to flash and NEVER flash from within winders.

Version 1102
Description Crosshair V-Formula BIOS 1102
Improve system stability.
File Size
2,4 (MBytes) 2012.01.11 update

I knew C_D was having some trouble with a couple of his CHVs but did not know all the symptoms of the issues. A couple of the boards he did not know were even failed in some way until he began to clock everyone of them. Some were in a work environment only and not being pounded.

My board is the non-Z version bought 3 days before the EGG started selling the CHV-z board and I almost sent it back to get the Z but decided against it. Well it worked and did not seem to have the NIC or sound issue that some with CHV and 990FXSABerT had.

Where many use a 220 FSB on Mid Level Giga UD3 boards, I use 233-236 FSB to keep my ram bumping DDR1866 and the CPU_NB and HT Freq 2550-2610. I was using almost 99% of the time a 19.5 multiplier. Using 233-236 could hit all the CPU speeds just over and slightly under 4.5Ghz.

The above would mean I never used 240FSB and above. Everything works fine. C_D wanted me to push the FX-8350 into the 5.4Ghz range and did. Could go further but the Vcore needed which was above 1.58V and just put me off. I was never going to run up there 24/7 and I am pretty much over moon-shots such as I used to do at the drop of a hat. Hehehe.

This is my new Video Rendering of my home video's speed.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7390581&postcount=45I was just amazed at that speeds results. 1.4 Vcore set in bios with CPU_LLC set to HIGH and 20.5x235.
RGone.

Back