• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Putting an ASROCK Z77 PRO3 through it's paces sort of a reveiw

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

givmedew

A friend of mine wanted to know why his AMD 939 3800 dual core wasn't pulling it's weight anymore. Well he had a few problems: horrible mobo, every fan had been clogged till it stopped including the motherboard and cpu fans and most fans where burn't up/perm destroyed once cleaned up. Plus the system just didn't seem to have the balls to decode a 1080p x264 w/ surround sound video and 1gb of ram made driving windows itself.

In comes the new parts to the rescue:
Processor: i5-2500K
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3
Ram: 4GB Geil 1866MHz 9-10-9 (temp till his comes in)
Hard Drive (1): 3.5" 2TB Seagate (ripped from an external drive)
Hard Drive (2): 2.5" 64GB Crucial RealSSD SataIII (Running as an Intel Smart Response Technology - Acceleration Drive)
DVD-Rom (1): HP dvd1260
DVD-Rom (2): HP dvd1260
Custom Cooling: Corsair Pump/Block and 240mm rad and fans that I put together as a favor.
-------

Putting it through it's paces.

When I first assembled this thing it was with a factory Intel Cooler from a 3rd gen K series i5. At 4.2-4.4GHz (target I was shooting for) the temps would get into the high 80s on the cores even without having to prime95. Skip forward to today and they will stay below 50c pretty much no matter what threw at them.

The only thing I am ACTUALLY WORRIED ABOUT is the motherboards power delivery and it's ability or lack there of to dissipate it's heat.

The SMALL single heat-sink on the power delivery is very loosely attached and when first installing the board just lightly touched the heat-sink made it come off whatever it was attached to. It had some sort of spring screws or the like hold it on from the back so it did go back to it's original position without me having to remount anything. The lack of any firmness is not reassuring though.

The first burn test with prime95 and the new cooler had us running 1.248v on the CPU and I could smell the motherboard warming up to extreme temps for its first time. I decided to run a full size AC fan on it to reduce stress on the board.

It took it's lickings so far. I am not going to hand someone an overclocked processor without first finding its lowest voltage for that value and then making sure said voltage is stable.

The motherboard with the large fan on it has endured over 24HRs of prime95. I would not recommend that this board be subjected to torture like this without ample cooling and without being inside the board exchange period.

If this board broke on I would have been able to exchange it immediately at the local Microcenter only a few miles away.

Here are some pictures.

Here is a picture of my building station. This is not my office but more like a spot that I built to just sit in a sun filled room (wall to wall window on the other side) and read the internet. When building computers I usually build them at this station because I have tons of room.
z77 pro3 - 6.jpg

The rest of these pictures are pictures of the board and the cooling system. The final wire management is not done as the final drive arrangement is not done. But you get the jist of it.

z77 pro3 - 5.jpg

z77 pro3 - 4.jpg

z77 pro3 - 3.jpg

z77 pro3 - 1.jpg

Attachments

• z77 pro3 - 2.jpg
    z77 pro3 - 2.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 644
First thing I noticed was how roomy that case was but then figured out you probably pulled out the front drive trays. Either way nice setup.

First thing I noticed was how roomy that case was but then figured out you probably pulled out the front drive trays. Either way nice setup.

Yeh I pulled out the drive bays. This is a very very old case it had 2 removable 3 bay cages. I had to drill out rivets to remove the parts that held them in and I had to cut out a large area in the front of the case for the 120mm fans.

The case is made out of steel which means 2 things... One it is ridiculously heavy. It might weigh more than my Obsidian 800D loaded out.

This build is for a friend. I built/put together the cooling loop and the whole computer. I have one of these cases of my own though chilling in at my uncle's workshop though. It is all disassembled and prepped for paint. But I am waiting till summer to finish that project. It will be water cooled with more standard cooling equipment.

This is a link to the original case.
dxbd2.jpg

Very nice, seems like you got a nice 2500k there. I suggest pushing it higher :D :D

Not worried about the 2500K worried about the motherboard. Very worried... the instructions even say that although the motherboard is capable of over-clocking that they do not recommend doing so... I am not certain if that disclaimer is on all of the boards or just the ones with lower end power delivery.

I do not want to OC it to a level that would require extended (12HR+) testing to ensure stability. Even though I put it through 24HRs at one point I did not do this with the final and highest OC!

It is very stable at 4.4GHz so I am going to leave it there. Tested for 4HR or so with no issues with a house fan pointed at the motherboard. That was using the 50% LLC option and -.040v offset was my final decision even though it seemed stable lower I just don't want to risk it on someone else's build.

The temps for the proc where very very good w/ mid to high 40s on the cores. One core did hit low 50s but just one.

Back