• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on buying budget UPS for my system.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crayfis

Hi guys, I wondered in anyone could give me some advice on buying a uninterruptable power supply for my gaming pc setup. I recently moved to a new address where there was some old wiring. I've lost a monitor and a PSU. The PSU went after having new wiring put in, but that maybe damage from the old wiring. Anyway, Im going to get a UPS to protect my new setup.
I have a stock q6600 with an old Radeon 2900Pro that was running fine for years on a 550W PSU (now replaced with a 650W OCUK one). I also would like to run my 2 19" 1680 monitors off it (just one if its a problem).

Could anyone give me some basic advice on what I need for this setup. Possibly even some model recomendations, very preferably on the budget end of things.
Also I noticed the power outs on UPS' tend to be the kettle type plug, which means I'd have to buy a whole bunch of 2 ended kettle leads. Could I just buy one of these and run it all thru that:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250458575242?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
or is that too much power through on output on the UPS?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks!

Get at least a 1000VA but the bigger you go usually equal the longer it will last if there is no power.

I have 3 UPS :
APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 (865w) ~2yrs old
Cyberpower CP1350AVRLCD (810w) ~3yrs old
Cyberpower CP550SLG (330w) ~1yr old

The 865w is on my main rig, i already ran my main rig with the 810w in the past and i had a much more power ungry PC. I also plugged all my network gear, rooter and modem, to the main UPS. The 810w is on my livingroom, powering the TV, HTPC, audio amp and the cablebox. Only my subwoofer is not on the UPS. The last and small one is only for my aquarium :).

At 144$, you cant go wrong with this one. 1350va and 810w of power.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102070

A UPS to be used with a computer system should have a pure sine wave output and that one doesn't (many PSUs, such as the Corsairs, won't operate on a stepped "sine" wave). This one does. Yes, it costs more but how much would it cost to repair or replace anything plugged into it?

A UPS to be used with a computer system should have a pure sine wave output and that one doesn't (many PSUs, such as the Corsairs, won't operate on a stepped "sine" wave). This one does. Yes, it costs more but how much would it cost to repair or replace anything plugged into it?

This is not 100% thrue. Those "pure sine wave" absolute need is not well .... alwais needed. And in fact, if your UPS is powerfull enough, even if there is a "hole" in the power delivery resulting in a power spike cause of the UPS not being a pure sine wave, nothing will happen, power will just spike a fraction of a second without anything else happening.

The "trouble" with non pure sine UPS is that with some PSU, if a power cut occur, sometime ( rarely ) for a fraction of a second the power draw from the PSU will raise to its maximum and if your UPS is not powerfull enough, the UPS will cut its power cause he is overloaded for this fraction of a second.

I run a 1200w PSU on a 865w UPS that is not a pure sine wave and it never failed on me. On my living room, i have a brand new Enermax NAXN 550w PSU on a 810w UPS + lots of other stuff on this UPS and i never had issue on this one too. In fact, none of my UPS are pure sine ....

great replies guys, now reading through these. I forgot to mention that Im in the UK, so I can't go for some of these deals.
PS, could anyone confirm my enquery at the bottom of the post about that (UK) plug converter.

A quick search on Amazon.co.uk can get you some good deals.

As for the converter, you dont need it if you buy a UPS with the right plug on it :)

This is not 100% thrue. Those "pure sine wave" absolute need is not well .... alwais needed. And in fact, if your UPS is powerfull enough, even if there is a "hole" in the power delivery resulting in a power spike cause of the UPS not being a pure sine wave, nothing will happen, power will just spike a fraction of a second without anything else happening.

The "trouble" with non pure sine UPS is that with some PSU, if a power cut occur, sometime ( rarely ) for a fraction of a second the power draw from the PSU will raise to its maximum and if your UPS is not powerfull enough, the UPS will cut its power cause he is overloaded for this fraction of a second.

I run a 1200w PSU on a 865w UPS that is not a pure sine wave and it never failed on me. On my living room, i have a brand new Enermax NAXN 550w PSU on a 810w UPS + lots of other stuff on this UPS and i never had issue on this one too. In fact, none of my UPS are pure sine ....

Read this thread. And here. I'm sure Corsairs aren't the only PSUs that require pure sine wave power.

Both my computer use Active PFC powersupply and my main PSU is much more powerfull than my UPS and i never had issue with power spike when it shut down causing the UPS to pop the overcurrent protection, cutting the power to the computer. I know other poeple that use "normal" UPS with active PFC power supply and they dont issue. The main issue is if you have an Active PFC PSU with a too small UPS for the possible current draw. This can lead to trouble.

Corsair PSU dont "require" a Pure Sine wave UPS. They just recommend this on their forum so that if dumb buyer buy a 500w UPS for their 750w computer and they have issue when power outage occur they dont complain on Corsair forum.......

I prefer buying a 1500va/900w UPS for ~150$ that will not fail on me than a 250$ pure sine wave UPS that will do the same job. Just dont buy to small and you will never have issue with "normal" UPS.

Last edited:
Both my computer use Active PFC powersupply and my main PSU is much more powerfull than my UPS and i never had issue with power spike when it shut down causing the UPS to pop the overcurrent protection, cutting the power to the computer. I know other poeple that use "normal" UPS with active PFC power supply and they dont issue. The main issue is if you have an Active PFC PSU with a too small UPS for the possible current draw. This can lead to trouble.

Corsair PSU dont "require" a Pure Sine wave UPS. They just recommend this on their forum so that if dumb buyer buy a 500w UPS for their 750w computer and they have issue when power outage occur they dont complain on Corsair forum.......

I prefer buying a 1500va/900w UPS for ~150$ that will not fail on me than a 250$ pure sine wave UPS that will do the same job. Just dont buy to small and you will never have issue with "normal" UPS.

+1, and I have personal experience using Corsair supplies on stepped sine wave UPSes. Got a smaller UPS for my NAS (APC BR700G) with the NAS using a Corsair CX430. Power went out several times causing the UPS to kick over to battery, and that CX430 still is one of my more reliable PSUs.

Actually, the only things I've heard that don't like stepped sine waves are AC motors, don't know how true that is though.

Interesting discussion guys, anyone have any specific deals they spotted in the UK that would be good ones for me to go for with my reqs?
Thanks again.

Read this thread. And here. I'm sure Corsairs aren't the only PSUs that require pure sine wave power.

I am running multiple Corsair PSUs on non pure sine wave UPSs without issue, this includes my 18tb Fileserver.

Regarding your linked threads, one thread has a response from a Corsair rep which states "I am sorry but we can only suggest a pure sign wave", nothing in that says that it is REQUIRED. In the same thread there is also the following response from another user "Adaptive Sinewave technology solves the incompatibility issues experienced when a non-Sinewave UPS is attached to equipment using Active PFC power supplies. Like Pure Sinewave, an Adaptive Sinewave UPS provides continuous power output, preventing unexpected shutdowns or damaging stress when switching from AC to UPS battery power." Again, nowhere stating it is REQUIRED to have pure sinewave.

Back