• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Fan Xpert Confusion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drathozark

Registered
So, I know my Rampage II Extreme comes with Fan Xpert built in.. But for the life of me, I'm having a ridiculous amount of trouble actually understanding it. I want to have some better control over the 4 radiator fans, 3 case fans, and the MCP35x in my case, all of which are PWM controllable as I understand it.

In the Asus BiOS, I've found the feature, but the settings are terribly limited and I don't quite understand them. I want to institute protocol based on temp and load.

i.e. I want the radiator fans to scale based upon component temps AND load, the same for the pump, but I want the case fans to scale based only on the interior temps as all they're cooling are the RAM, NB/SB, and the memory on my GPU, none of which seem to be heating much even under load.

Is there any option within the Asus motherboard itself and/or is there a program that I can run from startup to control everything without additional hardware...?

The Fan Xpert utility only works for the CPU fan (labeled CPU_FAN) and case fans (labeled CHA_FAN) on your motherboard. If any of your fans are not hooked directly to those motherboard connections, they will not work with Fan Xpert. Also, from my experience with it, it seems to ramp up the case fan speed according to the processor temperature.

All the fans are currently running through the motherboard, excepting the two front which run off the front I/O panel.

So, I guess a better question would be.. Is there a better way to control the fans and pump without another piece of hardware?

Back