• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What would you do.... 2 SSD's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nd4spdbh2

OK people i have recently been given a kingston hyper x 240gb SSD.... SF 2218 based async nand flash... 550 read 510 write.

I currently have a 120 gb adata S510 (also 550 read 510 write sf 2218 based async nand) installed in my main rig.

Now i though of just cloning over to the new 240gb drive... but then i got to thinking.

I really dont need the money from selling the adata 120gb... SOO what about throwing the 120 and 240gb ssd in Raid 0... obviously only using half of the 240gb ssd but still having a total space of 240gb. Are the performance boosts from raid 0ing 2 ssds together worth it?

I am on a z77 chipset so i will have trim support in raid so that is not an issue.

I already have my old 120gb ssd in my laptop... and all the other computers there is no point to a ssd in em....

Thoughts, concerns, ideas welcome.

Even if you didn't run into performance issues because they aren't like drives (which you probably will run into), putting solid state drives in RAID 0 for the performance benefit really isn't worth it. Not only does it increase an aspect of the drive very few people use (sequential transfer), you will see a hit to random access times, which is the whole point behind buying a SSD.

Bottom line: pick one and stick with it.

you could always give it to me :D
no but rly what thiddy said
do you have a extra family rig you may put it in?
if not use it for games? or sell it on (on the forums etc)

thats what i figured.... ok clone to the 240gb and use it and it only.. then figure out what to do with the other ssd haha.

Back