• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Picked up a Sabertooth R2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
So I came across an opportunity to swap out my trusty 990FXa-UD3 for a new board and I selected the Sabertooth R2.0 because it has top of the line voltage regulation, a great reputation, and doesnt look like gamer puke.

So after I got the loop torn down and everything built back up this evening, I decided to throw in roughly the setting I ran on my old UD3 and what do you know its posts right up and takes me into windows. After 20 mins or so updating all my drivers I reboot and then put it into P95 blend for an hour. LLC works a bit differently than it did on my last motherboard. Also the lack of an estimated voltage when using offset mode is a little annoying but whatever.

I was successfully able to run P95 for an hour with what I would refer to as 2 notches in gigabyte land and topped out at 39C core temp. Not a bad start. From there things got a bit frustrating I had fail to boots, and sometimes the board decided to set something totally different from what I had entered. I dont know what was causing that but it seems to have stopped.

Right now I am beating on it at 4.7Ghz in P95 with WAY to much vCore... But I was having odd issues so I set alot of voltages way into the stable but still safe range. If this pans out for a while longer Ill try and tweak the OC some more. Rome wasnt built in a day and this Mobo behaves differently than my last 10 or so boards did.

:salute::attn:

Maybe it is just the fact it acts different than 10 boards in a row have acted? I declare this CHV non -z board acts like I thought a board should act. Had it not, I probably would think it was an odd duck myself. Everything seems just fine until I wanted to try and run 5.5Ghz pretty darn stable. The FX-8350 just needs a ton of Vcore and that caused me to make some changes in bios that should do one thing but don't so I can get over 1.6Vcore. The boards obstinance to let me just hammer the cpu Vcore may be just saving my stuff. Hehehe. Hard to say but I think after last night, I am over 5.5Ghz without super cold. I mean, why can't I just be satisfied with having benched @ 5.4Ghz and run day in and day out at 4.6Ghz with 1.375Vcore? Maybe I have a mental defect? Hehehee.

Good luck with the sorting in bios. Maybe the board just wanted to know who had the reigns.
RGone...

Maybe it is just the fact it acts different than 10 boards in a row have acted?

Thats pretty much it. Its not necessarily behaving badly its just got a different way of acting thats not 100% inline with what Im used to.

The weird RAM timings and stuff was super frustrating but I think it was one of the settings attached to "Mem OK" which is an onboard memory tester that will change ram speeds around until it gets a post.

Its been a bit of a trick tracking down the LLC and vCore offset behaviors. It got late last night and I had to put it away but I have it at 220x21 with 2052 DRAM and 2420 CPU-NB/HT as I commonly recommend as a baseline for people to test.

I have a bunch of stuff I had to put off yesterday between rebuilding my waterloop(new RES/PUMP, ohh so quiet now) and moving my son into his own bedroom. Anyone with this board who wants to point out a few notes on how this board seems to like it id love to hear it. IF not I will spend some more time on getting to know the board in a few days.

The board is a solid board, but the voltage offsets suck. I just set it to man & put what I want. Also the LLC way over shoots on any setting above high. I have mine set to 1.36 & it overshoots to 1.38+ on LLC ultra high. The book don't explain the settings very well either

the sabertooth is a top notch board, i love mine.
the manual is a little slim and the bios takes some getting used to like the chv-f.
I have pounded denab, bulldozer and piledriver on it to extremes and it still just ticks along.
I have only been at this about a year and the asus bios is the easyest for me to tweak.
I have had gigabyte and msi boards before.

Back