• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to overclocking - is this a good build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

machinestate

I need a new AMD rig, looking to spend around $1000, and I plan to overclock. I've been pricing hardware and here's what I'm thinking about doing:

mobo: MSI 990FXA-GD80
cpu: FX-8350
gpu: Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7950
psu: Coolmax ZP-850B
cooler: Thermaltake CLP0575
memory: Mushkin 993991 (4x4GB) PC3-16000 9-11-9-27
case: Antec Three Hundred

storage: 500gb HDD w/OS from existing rig, but considering a 256gb SSD...

A few questions -
1) How can I make sure the cpu fan/sink won't obstruct the dimms before I buy? I've had that problem in the past.

2) Does anyone know how wide the memory modules are with the ridgeback heatsinks? I'm also worried about these fitting because the dimms are so close together - I had to really cram them together in my current rig with mushkin memory and an msi mobo, and if they were a few mics wider they wouldn't have fit.

3) Any other potential issues that I'm missing?

Thanks, glad to be here!

Maybe change the PSU to a better rated branded model either a Seasonic or something as good as! This Review says voltage drop not very stable it does not mention anything about Ripple on the lines. There is a very good reason that is OP your going to install a power hungry CPU that needs stable voltage and current to the motherboard VRM Section. AJ. :shrug: ;)

1,http://www.techwarelabs.com/coolmax-850watt-power-supply/4/

2, http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589708

Maybe better to choose one of this list by OCF! :thup:

Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!

• What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
  • What is your budget?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.

Once again, thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

Thanks all,

Knufire:
- My budget is $1000-1200
- Windows7 and peripherals are accounted for. I'm still going to use my old rig for audio/video editing, and I've got an external HD I'll have to cold-swap as needed so I'm just going to swap k/v/m and speakers too rather than invest in a $200 switch.
- I'm in US and getting everything from here. I don't live near at all to a Microcenter.

- Overclocking -- I've never done it before because I had concerns about heat buildup or reducing the life of my hardware. I don't have a specific clock target, so I plan to go up the minimum amount for the PC17000 to run on this mobo. The FX-8350 will handle that memory speed, but the mobo only supports up to PC12800 at stock speed, and up to PC17000 when o/c.
I'm hoping the mobo o/c utilities will be straightforward because at this point I have no idea what multiplier or voltage settings I'll need to use to run this memory. I was originally going to run PC12800 but it appears to be discontinued by mushkin, as the prices are now quite a bit higher than for the PC17000.
I'm dead-set about the hardware brands due to success with previous builds. I've been running MSI mobo/AMD cpu/mushkin memory configs for over a decade, and never had a hardware or system crash.

- I would like a quiet build, but am prepared for it to be loud.
- Size isn't important for me, but the smaller the better. 3x 5.25 bays is enough space for drives. I really just want to make sure the case and particularly that mobo have space for the memory modules and cpu fan/sink without obstruction.
- I plan on using this system for 5-7 years without major upgrades. At that point I'll likely need to upgrade everything at once to fully enjoy the games of the late 2010's/early 2020's, but the way things are going we may all be cloud computing for games by then.
- AMD Crossfire - Nope. I was looking into this, but it doesn't look like AM3+ is going have PCIe 3.0, so it makes more sense to me just to get a single high-end video card, otherwise I figure Crossfire is just going to bottleneck on PCIe 2.1

Last edited:
Think my budget will be closer to $1200, with the improved psu Ajay recommends, thats one component I've learned the hard way not to cheap-out with.

If you're going with the 8350 you'll want a really good H/S cooling solution if you plan to OC it at all.
If you're concerned about ram interference look for low profile ram.
It sounds like you're a gamer. If that's the majority of what you do I'd get 2X4 GB rams and spend the extra on a better vid card.
Since you're looking long term for upgrade consider a 3770k or 3570k or 2500k and spend the extra on a better vid card. Cause they do run cooler too. That H/S would be fine.

I'll post a suggestion later today. Just a note, brand loyalties will be ignored because all they do is limit your options and aren't based on any scientific testing whatsoever. ;)

You didn't specify what you're using the computer for.

oh woops, i plan to use it primarily for gaming - modern games, and console emulators
i may also do some audio and graphics rendering on it if it takes too long on my soon-to-be old rig

Knufire why the true spirit 140 and not the eve 212 or the nzxt havik??

i have the evo 212 and over clocked my 3770k to 4.8 with no problems

never heard or seen this true spirit tested but i like new things and also on board with 140mm cpu coolers

That'll be a nice rig, good suggestions there Knufire :thup:

Knufire why the true spirit 140 and not the eve 212 or the nzxt havik??

i have the evo 212 and over clocked my 3770k to 4.8 with no problems

never heard or seen this true spirit tested but i like new things and also on board with 140mm cpu coolers
The EVO is a great cooler Oroooso, though I have seen tests where the True Spirit is better by 4c.

cool i will have to dig a little and read some reviews always cool to be aware of more parts

Back