• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU needs to be cooled better, water is my only option.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
So..

Running my CPU at any speeds is starting to become an issue for my H70.

Im seeing higher and higher temps on the core, and well, im at a cross roads.

Get a CHEAP H100, mount the radiator in the top of my case, with some more fans, and then cut the tubes, mount the CPU block from the H100, then connect both the H100 and the H70 rads together, with a swiftech res...

Or...

Go all out WC, get a decent 2x120 rad to mount in the top of the case, get 2 more fans for a push pull, and then buy a CPU block and a res and a pump?

If i was to go all out WC loop, then my setup would be along these lines:
EK-Supreme HF High Flow CPU block
HW-Labs Black Ice - GTS Lite 240 Radiator
Phobya 5.25" Bay Reservoir
Pump, i dont know, i need help on this, as i dont want one thats loud at all!

In any case, what sort of fluids are people running these days?

Last i was watercooling was 10 years ago, and back then we used distilled water.

Oh and is it possible to have black water, maybe with added glow in dark feature?

I sure as heck wouldnt hack up those AIO systems...and strap em together. The pumps may not be able to handle the increased load for long. Why not get the new swiftech kit that will be coming out within a month or so. It has a good pump and allows for expansion.

We still use distilled + biocide.

If you want glow in the dark, get colored tubes. Using dyes was a bad idea 10 years ago and still is now.

I sure as heck wouldnt hack up those AIO systems...and strap em together. The pumps may not be able to handle the increased load for long. Why not get the new swiftech kit that will be coming out within a month or so. It has a good pump and allows for expansion.

We still use distilled + biocide.

If you want glow in the dark, get colored tubes. Using dyes was a bad idea 10 years ago and still is now.

You learn something everyday, i was using copper pipes back then, so I didn't care about the liquid inside.

Dont know anything about the Swiftech system, link?

Last edited:
Im honestly playing more with the idea of going all out on a real loop, i have been wanting to since my i7 930.

I bidding on a cylinder Res and HWlabs GTX240 radiator 2x120mm. If that goes well, then its sure to become a full custom loop.

That rad is good for a CPU only loop. If you want to get your cards involved, you will need a lot more rad than that.

I wonder if the heatdump from both cards are what is raising the temps...

That rad is good for a CPU only loop. If you want to get your cards involved, you will need a lot more rad than that.

I wonder if the heatdump from both cards are what is raising the temps...

I dont know, the H70 is a few years old, i'd think about 3 if not more.

The cards to make heat, but the airflow in the case should be good. It only hits the really temps in 3dmark11 when its CPU only testing.

Looking at the new Swiftech unit seems you get the best of two in one unit. A refillable unit with the capability to up grade and expand at anytime. With a quite pump and you can even change the colour of the 3/8 pipes. AJ.

Must be an echo in here! :p

I dont know, the H70 is a few years old, i'd think about 3 if not more.

The cards to make heat, but the airflow in the case should be good. It only hits the really temps in 3dmark11 when its CPU only testing.
What are your temps hitting actually? Are you worried for nothing?

At 4.3Ghz? Yikes. What voltage? That doesnt sound right... a stock cooler would perform just as good, LOL!

So who cares in that case? You dont stress test your CPU outside of finding stability, you play games with it and interwebz!!! That said, I have never seen such a difference between gaming and stress tests... I mean 40C is a TON!

Did this recently start happening?

Last edited:
So who cares in that case? You dont stress test your CPU outside of finding stability, you play games with it and interwebz!!! That said, I have never seen such a difference between gaming and stress tests... I mean 40C is a TON!

Did this recently start happening?

Is 40 high? :sly: I cant remember when this started to happen. But i can tell something is wrong.

Idle is about 45, but this only happend after 2 gpus' before it was around 40.

With the MSI and prime95 on stock speeds temps would go to about 85.

But im unsure where the problem is, i suspeect its the AC F12's thats just dont move enough air.

EDIT:

As of now, i have bought HWlabs GTX240 radiator 2x120mm and Aplhacool cylinderreservoir.

20130113140757.jpg

20130113133247.jpg

Last edited:
40c is a he'll of a difference between a gaming load and and stress tests... test. Im half that.

40c is a he'll of a difference between a gaming load and and stress tests... test. Im half that.

I dont know what to say?

45 is average idle temp
65/70 is gaming temp
95/100 @4.3 during 3dmark11 cpu test.

I dont like it, i want to change it, and i am changing it.

My i5 2500, idles on air at about 35 and hits 65 during gaming, on air!

Well, that H70 isnt better than air in most cases... so that explains that. I still have never seen such a difference between 3d11 and gaming... weird.

But yeah, you have a lot more heat dump in the case with another 200W card in there regardless of airflow (well unless you rad is in front and getting ambient air).

Well, that H70 isnt better than air in most cases... so that explains that. I still have never seen such a difference between 3d11 and gaming... weird.

But yeah, you have a lot more heat dump in the case with another 200W card in there regardless of airflow (well unless you rad is in front and getting ambient air).

It is a version 1 of the H70.

But ever since i oc'ed my cards, they no longer wish to turn off the second card when system is idle. Not that its a huge problem.

The CPU rad will going in top, with pull system to start with, and when i get money push fans will be added.

Back