• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus KGPE-D16 wont power on

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
Hi guys, just wanted to get your opinion on an issue. I have an Asus KGPE-D16 dual CPU motherboard. I started assembling it last night and when I plug in the power and hit the power button the fans spin briefly then shuts down without doing anything.

I started the usual troubleshooting:
Remove the PCI-E video card
Remove the sound card
Yank all of the ram
use only 1 cpu
switch out the cpus (in case one is dead)
switch the psu.

All have the exact same result. Fans spin briefly, NO BIOS BEEPs, and then spins down. I am thinking the board is DOA.

Additionally I checked the Asus website for the mobo I read the pdf on cpu compatibility and it said that if the bar code ends in "OZ" my cpu is not supported without a bios update. If it has "OT" at the end then it has the newest bios and supports the 62xx cpus.

Mine has "OT" at the end so unless they put the board in the wrong box I should be ok.

Could an unsupported CPU cause this problem?

If it was unsupported, it would likely just stay on.

What power supply do you have and do you have both 8pin power connectors hooked up? Have you removed it from the case and tried it on a non-conducting surface?

If it was unsupported, it would likely just stay on.

What power supply do you have and do you have both 8pin power connectors hooked up? Have you removed it from the case and tried it on a non-conducting surface?

I tried a Seasonic 650 (80+ Silver) and an OCZ 1250 (80+ Gold). The board takes 2 8 pin connectors. Both PSU's have 2 8 pin "CPU" connectors labeled on the cable. The only thing I didnt do was mix the psus. I.E run the 8 pin from one (and jumper it) and the main board from another.

As for your other question I had it on styrofoam at one point. With all this info is it worth putting it on the desk since everything is already packed up?

If you have tried multiple processors, different sticks of RAM (following the correct install procedure since they must be in the right sockets), different power supplies, and there are no additional devices plugged into it, I'd be out of ideas and start putting in a RMA request.

You've done a CMOS reset, correct? What processors are you putting in this?

Yes I did clear the cmos via the jumpers and I also popped the battery for good measure

I am trying to put a pair of 6234's.

on the point about different ram, Asus told me that I should be getting bios beeps by leaving the ram out, I am not even getting that far. Trying to start the computer with NO ram yields the same results.

I figured it was RMA time I just wanted to double check

Back