• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New cooling system.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kylesims

Alright, so I've spent.. Quite a bit of time contemplating a watercooled system in my computer.

I'm finally buying a new machine, and I'm going to purchase a watercooling system with it - I'm getting the PC from CyberpowerPC.com, because they have some decent prices for what I'm looking for.

Here's what I'm getting.

A Cooler Master HAF-X fullsize case
AMD FX-8350 4.0GHZ (Will probably overclock it, to see what it can do.)
Asus Crosshair V-Formula Z board
ATI 7870 video card (Will possibly overclock)
A 256GB SSD, and a 2TB standard drive.

the watercooling system consists of...
An X2O dual bay res/low noise pump, XSPC Rasa Copper CPU block, an an RS360 radiator

They also have the option of getting the same res, with dual D5 pumps, an XSPC RayStorm Chrome block, and an AX360 radiator.

My question is.. Is the XSPC Rasa block good? Or should I spend the extra 230 bucks for the chrome block with, what I assume is a better radiator?

I also plan on finding a block for the videocard to add into the loop, which poses it's own question.

Where's the best place to add a videocard into the loop? I'm thinking it should run something like... Res/pump -> Processor ->Radiator -> Videocard -> Back to the res/pump.

Lastly.. Where's a good place to find videocard cooling blocks?

Order in the loop does not matter. Do whatever is convenient.

Performance PCs is a good place to get all sorts of WC gear.

You can read up on the AX360 here (martin does very thorough reviews).

The only things that would matter in the loop order is the pump being under the reservoir at all times so the pump is always fed water and never runs dry.

I just got my new rig from CyberpowerPC, Same case as you but a AMD FX 6300. I got the Asetek 570LX 240MM WATERCOOLER ( it's a closed loop) andso far is great, My CPU temp has only maxed at 28C and normally runs at 9C. BTW, that HAF X is a monster case! :)

Mm. From what I can tell, the pump is actually -in- the resevoir.. So as long as the res is full, with fluid in the lines, it shouldn't ever run dry. In theory.

Mm.. The review on the RS360 helped a lot - But didn't compare it to the AX360.

Though, just judging by Martin's ratings of the RS360.. I think I'll save the money and stick with that kit.

I can't find anything saying the Rasa 750 is a bad block, which seems like a good thing.

Alright, so I've spent.. Quite a bit of time contemplating a watercooled system in my computer.

I'm finally buying a new machine, and I'm going to purchase a watercooling system with it - I'm getting the PC from CyberpowerPC.com, because they have some decent prices for what I'm looking for.

Here's what I'm getting.

A Cooler Master HAF-X fullsize case
AMD FX-8350 4.0GHZ (Will probably overclock it, to see what it can do.)
Asus Crosshair V-Formula Z board
ATI 7870 video card (Will possibly overclock)
A 256GB SSD, and a 2TB standard drive.

the watercooling system consists of...
An X2O dual bay res/low noise pump, XSPC Rasa Copper CPU block, an an RS360 radiator

Low noise pump. Hwo do you know? Is it's flow rate and pressure ratings up to snuff once you add GPU blocks? Flow rate due to component restrictions can bring a lesser pump to a crawl. The RASA is a decent block. There are better by a bit, I worry more about the pump. The RS 360 rad is fine. Need a bit better fannage to perform, but does well with high speed fans over the RX 360.

They also have the option of getting the same res, with dual D5 pumps, an XSPC RayStorm Chrome block, and an AX360 radiator.

Dual D5 pumps. Hmm. Ever hear of the DDC series pumps? Prolly not. All you have done so far is clicky clicky on the buy buy sites and haven't done one iota of research. We have stickies, leads to knowledge and a proper WC rig. Don't get me wrong, but the D5's are kinda old tech these days.

My question is.. Is the XSPC Rasa block good? Or should I spend the extra 230 bucks for the chrome block with, what I assume is a better radiator?

Chrome is pretty.

I also plan on finding a block for the videocard to add into the loop, which poses it's own question.

You probably want more radiator. If you want quiet. That's why we watercool. Have you done your research at the stickies and learned about wattage generated vs wattage dissipated and your Dt temp result?

Where's the best place to add a videocard into the loop? I'm thinking it should run something like... Res/pump -> Processor ->Radiator -> Videocard -> Back to the res/pump.

Umm, again. In the stickies.

Lastly.. Where's a good place to find videocard cooling blocks?

Same place, we actually have a post in the stickies with WORLDWIDE stores listed, and an EXTENSIVE list of US Stores. And we have stickies and links for you to decide what is the best performing block, and tubing sizes, info on clamps, liquid to use, match the fan best to the rad, etc etc.

Notice the YELLOW Txt? We have yellow words on top of this sub forum. Folks who don't spend a few weeks learning and reading and reading usually fail in some sort of the process. Ones who get it right know that WC isn't a game. It's a hobby and can destroy parts with just a few drops of water.

Your knowledge will result in your final product. Choose. Up to you.

Chhose wisely, we'll see you back in a few weeks with all sorts of new knowledge.

And this link, just for you, for reinforcement that you need to know a LOT more.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6489396#post6489396

A note, look at the thanks under the post, you can see how it has helped tons since I wrote it.

Ohh I forgot, your having someone build the PC for you. Didn't notice. Then go with the most money you can spend and have them install it all since your don't want to build your own PC.

ONLY go for an AIO WC unit preinstalled. When your comfortable building your own PC a few times then take on custom WCing..

If you don't want to build your own PC, You DO NOT WANT TO DO YOUR OWN WATERCOOLING because you will break stuff.

If you can't build your own PC you DO NOT WANT A CUSTOM WC KIT that you have to maintain.

I'm making it as plain as possible.

I just got my new rig from CyberpowerPC, Same case as you but a AMD FX 6300. I got the Asetek 570LX 240MM WATERCOOLER ( it's a closed loop) andso far is great, My CPU temp has only maxed at 28C and normally runs at 9C. BTW, that HAF X is a monster case! :)

xD I'm glad someone else uses that case and likes it. It is -huge-, I saw the dimensions.. But the other one I was looking at is the HAF-XM, and it doesn't have nearly enough 5.25 bay slots on it for what I need. My res takes up two, my DVD drive'll take one, and that's all the XM has. The X has one more, so I can throw my fan controller/temp gauge in, too.

I'm actually about to go and get the PC customized again, so I can put my order in, tomorrow. I'll post up the link for it in about an hour, for people to take a look at... I'm pretty excited about it. Gonna have them laser etch a tribal-design of a wolf on the side, too.

EDIT: Conumdrum, I'm very capable of building my own computer - I'm just finding it to be the same cost to have someone put it all together for me, as it is if I ordered what I wanted... Or it might be more expensive to order what I want, because I tend to spend more when I do it in small chunks.

Maintaining a system isn't an issue.. I just need the jumpstart on -having- a system to maintain. That, and I can't ever manage to make a case look as pretty inside as the professionals do - My cable running skills aren't up to par.

thank you very much for the link, and the help, though. It comes in handy.

xD I'm glad someone else uses that case and likes it. It is -huge-, I saw the dimensions.. But the other one I was looking at is the HAF-XM, and it doesn't have nearly enough 5.25 bay slots on it for what I need. My res takes up two, my DVD drive'll take one, and that's all the XM has. The X has one more, so I can throw my fan controller/temp gauge in, too.

I'm actually about to go and get the PC customized again, so I can put my order in, tomorrow. I'll post up the link for it in about an hour, for people to take a look at... I'm pretty excited about it. Gonna have them laser etch a tribal-design of a wolf on the side, too.

EDIT: Conumdrum, I'm very capable of building my own computer - I'm just finding it to be the same cost to have someone put it all together for me, as it is if I ordered what I wanted... Or it might be more expensive to order what I want, because I tend to spend more when I do it in small chunks.

Maintaining a system isn't an issue.. I just need the jumpstart on -having- a system to maintain. That, and I can't ever manage to make a case look as pretty inside as the professionals do - My cable running skills aren't up to par.

thank you very much for the link, and the help, though. It comes in handy.

I found the cost of having CyberpowerPC build mine was not that much more than building it myself (only around $100 more). I actually bought 2 systems from them, mine and one for the wife.:thup:

You can bet your bottom it will be cheaper to build a PC on your own as opposed to the cost of at LEAST $200+ to build it not including the installation of "H20" which usually is a AIO system and since its put all together it will weight alot and cost a good amount in $shipping$. If you built it yourself most of the components you'd find will have free shipping if you look around and have no fee for building it. You end up saving a lot than having someone build it for ya but hey everyone has their own taste. Usually I've seen the median to be $200 for companies to put together a simple system for ya and their name/logo on it.

Grats on your future PC and hopefully we'll see some pics of it and the custom design you wanted on it.

How would they make profit if the computer cost the same that you would pay if you were building it yourself? That just doesn't make sense. You can usually undercut their price by a few hundred bucks just off Newegg.

I just don't get why people spend so much more money for something they can easily do themselves. The fact that people actually spend an extra $100-200 for not having to bother and having someone else to blame when things don't work is just saddening.

CyberpowerPc's flat rate shipping on one computer is $75. My etire system with shipping was only $1060 and I got a free WD 500gig external USB drive, Steam code for Dirt Showdown and Assassin's Creed III

LMFAO. That cost $1060? Those games were part of an NVIDIA deal, not CyberPowerPCs.

You seriously just got ripped off. That's a medium-low end gaming PC worth about $700.

Giant fancy overkill case that's worth more than your CPU is. You spent more on a case than a CPU, or GPU, or anything else. :facepalm:

And just to drive the point home, I did a build on Newegg with the same specs. Came out to $830. And the single most expensive component was the HAF-X. A more balanced build could be more upgradeable as well.

For example, you have a great cooler and a good OCing CPU. But would the CyberPowerPC reps tell you that if you OCed heavily, you'd probably blow the MOSFETs on the motherboard (part that delivers power to the CPU)? You'll never be able to use either to it's potential. The unbalanced nature (lets promote the parts that uninformed consumers think make a computer better) makes the build just as bad as the difference in raw value.

They're way more interested in your wallet than actually giving you a computer that suits your purposes. And most people just want a ZOMG PRETTY LIGHTS expensive toy and they're happy with what they get. It's sad.

@The OP. I'd skip on the board, the ASUS ROG series boards are made for extreme overclocking with dry ice and liquid nitrogen. It's overkill for your purposes and you should spend more on the part that affects gaming the most, the GPU. Again, not something CyberPowerPC would tell you.

Last edited:
LMFAO. That cost $1060? Those games were part of an NVIDIA deal, not CyberPowerPCs.

You seriously just got ripped off. That's a medium-low end gaming PC worth about $700.

Giant fancy overkill case that's worth more than your CPU is. You spent more on a case than a CPU, or GPU, or anything else. :facepalm:

And just to drive the point home, I did a build on Newegg with the same specs. Came out to $830. And the single most expensive component was the HAF-X. A more balanced build could be more upgradeable as well.

For example, you have a great cooler and a good OCing CPU. But would the CyberPowerPC reps tell you that if you OCed heavily, you'd probably blow the MOSFETs on the motherboard (part that delivers power to the CPU)? You'll never be able to use either to it's potential. The unbalanced nature (lets promote the parts that uninformed consumers think make a computer better) makes the build just as bad as the difference in raw value.

They're way more interested in your wallet than actually giving you a computer that suits your purposes. And most people just want a ZOMG PRETTY LIGHTS expensive toy and they're happy with what they get. It's sad.

@The OP. I'd skip on the board, the ASUS ROG series boards are made for extreme overclocking with dry ice and liquid nitrogen. It's overkill for your purposes and you should spend more on the part that affects gaming the most, the GPU. Again, not something CyberPowerPC would tell you.

Aha, see. That's what I wanted to hear - Minus the semi-mockery of whatshisface who probably could have made a better decision.

It's been.. Four or five years since I last built my computer, which is part of why I was going through a custom-build website. It's faster, convenient, and there's so much new crap out, I needed a place to start - CyberpowerPC was, more or less, my reference for what I should be researching. I.. Kind of assumed that they'd ahve up-to-date stuff (Didn't realize the D5 pumps were out of date, for example. I'll chalk that up to my watercooling research having dated back as far as my current computer.)

Chuckles....You do have a good point BUT having been involved with computers for the last 33 years I do know a thing or two about builds. I ordered what I wanted and felt I need at this time with an eye at future upgrades.

Use Coretemp for AMD processors. AMD is odd. Core temps is what matters.

You prolly got a very old version of your proggy. Times change. And your load testing methods are prolly questionable since you don't mention what you use.

Can't have 48C temps when the room is warmer than that. Basic Physics dude.

Mmmm... 33 years...

How could your CPU temp be lower than the room temp?

As evryone above stated, 1K+ for such a config is around 25% more than what you would have paid building it yourself.

You could have gotten a 8350 with a 670/7950 for this price.

Back