• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED System hang after POST and before OS boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kakgaming

Registered
Okay so I didn't see my problem when I searched it so if it has been addressed please point me in the right direction. My system hangs on the black screen with the underscore which looks like a dos prompt screen but it's just after the POST and before the mobo boots the os. The hang time is roughly 3-8 min I haven't quite timed it but it's somewhere around there. I've tried updating the bios, resetting all of the bios settings to default, and am going to try a CMOS clear soon. The mobo has the hdd led on till after the "press del for bios" screen goes away. I've tried using a different hard drive without the other one connect nothing changed. I can access the hard drive just fine after the OS boots. So I'm at a loss as to why there's such a big hang time between the POST and the os boot. Oh almost forgot the POST beeps are ordinary meaning nothings wrong according to the beeps.

I need to update my sig cause it's a little out of date everything but the memory and hard drive setup is correct.

*edit sig is fix. Also almost forgot this started a while after everything was settled in so it wasn't an immediate problem.

Thanks,
kakgaming

Last edited:
Did you do a fresh install of windows when the SSD was added ? If not try uninstalling and reinstalling your chipset drivers.

Johan45: yes when I added the ssd I did a fresh windows 7 install. I also re-installed the chipset drivers as well.

Enablingwolf: yeah I tried different mb sata slots and sata cables.

thanks for the suggestions.

What does it do with only the ssd hooked up ?

The ssd connected by itself has the same hang time as with the hdd connected. The AHCI mode in the BIOS is only for the ssd and the hdd is connected to sata 5 I think or maybe 6 but both are set to IDE. Oh I've also tried CMOS but that didn't change anything in the hang time.

Have you had the Hdd hooked in the same bank as the ssd ? I'm sure my book said something about using the other 2 (the dark ones)for your odd And switch them to AHCI as well. Also make sure your ssd is the first boot device. :shrug:

No the Hdd is not connected to the same bank as the as the sdd. The ssd is connected to I think sata 1 or 2 and the hdd is connected to 5-6. The reason I can't/shouldn't connect the ssd to the dark colored bank sata3g is because it would limit the functionality of the ssd since the ssd is a sata 3 and those 2 connections are I'm pretty sure are not but I may be wrong. I'll try it if you think that will work.

I meant both hard drives in the sata3 ports and verify your boot priority.

It sounds like he has one of those SSD's that after use become the cause of windows hangs and often reboots when the problem gets bad enough and are not recognized by the bios well without booting a few times; one after the other. Eventually the SSD fails fully.
RGone...

I thought that was a possibility just wanted to get the easy stuff out of the way.

I thought that was a possibility just wanted to get the easy stuff out of the way.

Yeah, I hear that. I was believing the time-frame he laid out of working to non-working and if the South Bridge on mobo did not physically fail, then it is about 97% a HDD/SSD in his case. I would hope he could sort it without SSD RMA, but I doubt it.
RGone...

Sometimes a firmware update can help but it's probably too late for the OS

RGone: The ssd is pretty much brand new. I just installed it about a week or two ago and the hangs were going on before that. I though maybe the hdd was the problem but the ssd didn't fix the hangs.

Johan45: I'll see if there is any new firmware that maybe I can update but I'm not sure. Also the ssd and the hdd aren't hooked up to the same sata3 bank. I guess I could try completely different spots for the drives.

RGone: The ssd is pretty much brand new. I just installed it about a week or two ago and the hangs were going on before that. I though maybe the hdd was the problem but the ssd didn't fix the hangs.

You did not say that to begin with and logically would change the whole troubleshooting procedure for sure since that means generally the problem is not the drives at all.

Well the ssd is new but the hdd is not so it could still be the hdd but I see your point. Sorry it slipped my mind. So the hdd is one of the oldest parts in my system but it's only about a year old same with the cpu everything else is ranging from less than a month to I think 6 months old.

Just make sure the ssd is in port 1. And it is #1 in boot priority. And optical drives should be in port 5 or 6. Mobos can be fussy with drive placement. If you try to flash the ssd I don't know about Mushkin but Kingston warned not to flash while using the AMD drivers. Had to roll back to windows generic. They said that AMD drivers were not stable at that time and would corrupt the drive!

If he updates the firmware from a Usb stick the drivers will not matter in the O/S.

I just bought a new Samsung 840 120GB and it has a "Magician" program that allows to flash firmware from Usb stick or from winders and I just chose Usb stick and it made up the Usb stick. Use Usb stick and no drivers to worry with.
RGone...

Back