• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mini-Squatch, SMASH!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MX5J6

The time has finally come, in the next 2 months I will finally be able to start buying the parts for my rig. I have something to go to, early February and then about 4 weeks later I will start getting steady income. So, since I seem to change my mind every 5 seconds I will start this thread early to make sure I get everything down that i want/need. I decided to save some space and go mITX, i would have gone MATX but I honestly couldn't find a case I actually liked that was within budget. I have around $2500 to spend on an mITX build and a little more for MATX as I would hope to possibly go SLI when I buy a new monitor. Otherwise I will just stay with mITX.

I love the simplistic design of the Node, which is what drew me to it, so if anyone can find something like it in MATX that can hold a decently sized PSU, feel free to suggest it.

This build will be my everyday pc, high end gaming rig and my HTPC. Right now this build is about $2400 with taxes and shipping.

So, any opinions or suggestions?

Case: Fractal Design Node 304
MoBo: ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
RAM: G.SKILL Ares 16GB (2 x 8GB) 1866
CPU: Intel Core i7-3570K
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X40 with Rosewill Hyperborea in push/pull
GPU: MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 OC 4GB
SSD: 2x Samsung 840 250GB
HDD: 2x Seagate Baracuda 3TB 7200 RPM
PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 500W with the short cable kit

Last edited:
Everything looks fine to me. Although, have you considered waiting a bit and grabbing swiftech's new aio cooler?
Also it may be cheaper to get a 500gb ssd over two 250s.

Thanks for the suggestion, though I think I did the math and it was $10 cheaper to get 2 SSDs vs a single 500GB. I will have to check that again though to make sure. Also do you know when will swoftechs aio be coming out? And will it fit in the Node 304?

If you are going to wait a couple months, I'd wait till May/June after Nvidia and Intel release their new chips n gpu's. But overall your build looks good.

You think there will be any mITX boards when haswell comes out? I was thinking of waiting a little longer because of the new 700 series but wasn't sure.

Thanks for the suggestion, though I think I did the math and it was $10 cheaper to get 2 SSDs vs a single 500GB. I will have to check that again though to make sure. Also do you know when will swoftechs aio be coming out? And will it fit in the Node 304?

Your welcome to read the front page or the WC sub-forum to see when it will come out.

Really odd title, no idea what it means for such a post.

Its just random, until i can give it a proper name in the project log. I will look though and see what I can find out.

Why not say: "Building new rig, suggestions?"

First I thought is was about squashes or some bigfoot spam.

It's just a forum for general comments about basic general stuff, and we have a forum for build logs when your ready and done. Just odd, that's all.

Lol sorry for being odd. When I get my project ready to build I will make it more normal. =p so any suggestions?

When you build it and post in the build log call it whatever you want.

For now, just say Building new rig. Ideas? Suggestions?

No big deal I wouldn't worry about it. It is just a forum posts title.

After looking at the prices again and having two 3TB Seagates and two 250GB 840s comes out to about the same as having a 500GB 840 and 4TB Western Digital Black but this way I get 2 extra TBs. I think I pretty much have everything I need. I am curious though, with Steam I don't really need to have every game on my PC at once, maybe I should go with some smaller SSDs to save a little more? Thoughts on that?

Back