• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying Parts tonight, need some critics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anhikilator

Hello Guys,

Unfortunately, I had to use some of my money in family expenses and from my previous post of a 5k PC I need to come down to a 3K pc. Of course first thing that goes out was the premium WC system.

I need it asap and I did some research so I wanted to share what I chose and get you guys helping me to buy the right stuff.

Prices from my Amazon Cart

Processor: I7 3930k $560
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 $329.21
Mem: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1866 MHZ $195
Case: NZXT Technologies Switch 810 Matte Black Full Tower $180
Monitor: Dell U2713HM-IPS-LED CVN85 27-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor $650
PS: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold (SPG) 1000 Watts Modular Power Supply $180
KB: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Elite Mechanical Gaming Keyboard $115
SO HDD: Crucial m4 256GB CT256M4SSD2 $170
Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache: Got this deal in Newegg and they are already on the way $170.

UNDECIDED:
VGA: EVGA 680 EVGA GeForce GTX680 SuperClocked 2048MB $464
CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H100i $137

TOTAL: $3,169 I can move up a bit if it's definitely worth it.

On top of this, I have some questions:

1. Is there a better configuration with 1 or multiple card to play at High Res on the DELL?
  2. Is there any better cooling solution AIR or WC that won't break the budget too much?
  3. Does it worth going for faster mems?
  4. I liked the case but I've never owned. I had a HAF-X before, what you guys think? There are plenty of options at that price point.

Thank you a lot for all the help as always.

Ank :salute:

Excellent pricey build.

1 : To run high res monitor, your better with high end cards like the 680 you took. If you dont dislike ATI, 7950 or 7970 can be found for lower price and they have a better memory bus/size.

2 : Its all up to you. I really like my big phantek cooler, it keep my 3820 very cool and is dead silent.

3 : IMO, 32gb is far too much, going for 16gb and faster memory could be a better choice. Unless you need it for editing/3dwork/other prog.

4 : IMO, case are a personnal thing.

my 2 cent : if you want to cut on your rig price, you could go for a 3820, its 250$ less and gaming perf are the same.

Well... why that platform? Do you need a hexcore?

Why 32GB? Do you need that? 8/16GB is plenty for most.

There are better PSU's out there for sure, and why 1KW with one card? Hell with two its not needed...

How about an OCZ Vector or Samsung 840 instead of the Crucial M4. Faster drives.

Corsair H100i if you need it now, otherwise the Swiftech H220 (review on front page) would be the AIO of choice.

Excellent pricey build.

1 : To run high res monitor, your better with high end cards like the 680 you took. If you dont dislike ATI, 7950 or 7970 can be found for lower price and they have a better memory bus/size.

2 : Its all up to you. I really like my big phantek cooler, it keep my 3820 very cool and is dead silent.

3 : IMO, 32gb is far too much, going for 16gb and faster memory could be a better choice. Unless you need it for editing/3dwork/other prog.

4 : IMO, case are a personnal thing.

my 2 cent : if you want to cut on your rig price, you could go for a 3820, its 250$ less and gaming perf are the same.

I need the mem cause of work and training I'm taking. Lot's of VMs, password cracking and such.

It's not only gaming so I thought hexa will give me some extra power.

Then I'll keep the 680, is the 4gb edition worth it? It's almost 100 more and at that point a lot of questions arise like... 2 660ti sli, 2 cheap 670 sli, 2 7970 sli...

7970 3GB for that monitor... 4GB 680 isnt worth it.

I dont see a point in that platform and that overgimmicky motherboard either. 3770K and Z77 will be fine for you I imagine.

Well... why that platform? Do you need a hexcore?

Why 32GB? Do you need that? 8/16GB is plenty for most.

There are better PSU's out there for sure, and why 1KW with one card? Hell with two its not needed...

How about an OCZ Vector or Samsung 840 instead of the Crucial M4. Faster drives.

Corsair H100i if you need it now, otherwise the Swiftech H220 (review on front page) would be the AIO of choice.

I love you EarthDog so much. I was counting the seconds to see how long you will take to reply!! hahaha. Well, I need the mem. I have not idea about newest ssd drives, last one I had was 2 crapy Adata that started to slow down after 1 year. Any preference between OCZ and Samsung, I'll switch that right away.

How much do you think the swiftech will cost? I need it right away, but if it's worth the wait, I could get the 212 EVO temporarily and wait for the other to come out.

Give me a hint on the monitor/VGA plz!

Thanks!

Chekc out the Korean monitors... best deal on 2560x1440 27" around...

Between the Vector and 840, its a toss up to me. We havent reviewed the 840, but I recently reviewed the vector and its a beast.

Swifty I think its $140.. biggest thing is its expandable!

Between the Vector and 840, its a toss up to me. We havent reviewed the 840, but I recently reviewed the vector and its a beast.

Swifty I think its $140.. biggest thing is its expandable!

Yessss, I read the review and looks fantastic. Do you think I can hold it a bit with the 212 EVO with no OC???

What I'm afraid with the Korean monitors is the ones that come with burned pixels. I know a lot of people were lucky and got a perfect one but there are also a lot of people pissed and I've read that they don't accept a return unless you have 10 pixels bad or more. Even if it's only 1, I'll always will see it in my screen and I thought I would worth the extra cash for a Dell unless someone says the opposite in regards of bad gaming performance (high input lag, etc)

At stock and a slight overclock on a 3930K, sure can.

EDIT: Pay for a perfect pixel model if you are worried about it.

At stock and a slight overclock on a 3930K, sure can.

EDIT: Pay for a perfect pixel model if you are worried about it.

Ok, almost getting there. I just checked the price for the Vector and it's almost $70 bucks more than the Crucial. Will I notice the difference?? $170 vs $240.

Any other motherboard I should consider other than the Sabretooth??

I also vote Extreme 4 on X79 platform. The "M" version was the most stable board I tested on X79 'out of the box'.

I also vote Extreme 4 on X79 platform. The "M" version was the most stable board I tested on X79 'out of the box'.

whats the difference with the non m version. I can get the 4 with ptime in 2 days and the M its gonna take longer and its more expensive too.

Case is a personal choice to me. I have never used that one so I cant even offer an opinion outside of 'it will fit your parts'.

Back