• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED MSI 880GMA-E55 supports piledriver?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MAL22

So I recently RMA'ed a mobo a friend gave me after he broke it, the 880GMA-E55 and according to multiple sources, it does support bulldozer even though it's an AM3 board but no FX CPUs are indicated on the board's page. If, indeed, it does support bulldozer, will it support piledriver also? :s

I wouldn't count on it, but I have no clue. If it's not listed on the manufacturer's website, I wouldn't even try it in all honesty.

well that's bad, it would've been an incredible upgrade for my phenom 9750. I just can't get my mind settled on buying a new computer as I want to buy everything. Monitors, keyboard, mouse... The whole set. My CPU is a poor performer, the GPU is getting old. So far, my lenovo y580 is great but I want a real desktop :/

Honestly noone but an informed MSI engineer in the AMD motherboard division could say whether PileDrive will work on the motherboard you have.

We have enough users coming into the AMD Cpu forum section buying cheap 9xx chipset motherboards and wanting to overclock and having most often miserable results. Miserable results compared to what most read about on websites where the big numbers are put up with top of the line motherboards for long-term stability.

Many cheap boards can run the BD and maybe the PD series cpus if left to run as the cpu was designed, but then the user reads about overclocking and the problems most often begin as the short-comings of the cheaper 9xx chipset boards begin to surface.

Now take the known problems with cheap later chipset boards and over-lay those problems over the earlier chipset boards that supposedly 'support' later processsors and noone has a for sure idea of what will happen in the long-run. Work? Maybe. Work very well? Not completely. There seem to be some nuances missing when the BD even is put on pre-9xx chipset motherboards.

I doubt I would buy a cpu for a mobo that was not a sure bet the cpu would work, unless I was prepared to buy a fully compatible motherboard if the first board I tried it in was proven to not work out.
RGone...

I'll buy either a 965 or my bro's 260 and hand it on to my parents then. i5 for me. :D

Back