• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II Motherboard purchase

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RAJ7

Hi all, a friend of mine has a mobo that died on him, so after too many years of reliable service, I'm planning on upgrading my 560 BE's AM2+ mobo to something more modern, and donate my current one to him. The cpu is stable as a quad at over 4.1 GHz, but I keep it at 3.71 GHz stock voltage on air.

I have a Storm Scout case, and I'm looking for a AM3/AM3+ mobo so I can finally switch to DDR3, and get SATAIII speeds with my SSD. But I'm having a hard time finding one that fits my needs, within my budget (hopefully under 200 Euros/dollars/pounds. The lower the better.)

My needs are:
at least 1 e-SATA
at least 3 other SATA ports
SLI support (2x PCIe x16 would be great)
at least 3 full USB headers on the mobo
Core unlocking and over clocking ability (duh)

My wants are:
4 DIMM slots for future updatability,
a PATA IDE interface for my old but still working backup drive,
RED AND BLACK TO MATCH MY STORM SCOUT!

My local stores are limited, but I'll investigate all recommendations.
http://www.tietokonekauppa.fi/?lang=GB Only English part store here...
http://www.jimms.fi/ (Finnish word for motherboards is Emolevyt)
http://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/catalog/22b/Komponentit-Emolevyt
http://hintaseuranta.fi/ (Search bar checks most stores in Finland)
And this last one is like ebay http://www.huuto.net/

Thank you all so much for the help. I have 16 hours to pick out and pick up the new mobo before my friend comes to get my current one.

Thanks!
:borg::borg::borg::borg::borg::borg:

Last edited:
You got a lot of wants that are not likely to be met in a top of the line motherboard and not if you intend to use a newer FX series processor that began with Bulldozer and is now in Piledriver release.

Most of the good, late 990FX to be sure of ability to run x16 SLI, just don't have the hold-on PATA stuff. eSata, jah, but some of that other stuff. No.

You got a lot of wants that are not likely to be met in a top of the line motherboard and not if you intend to use a newer FX series processor that began with Bulldozer and is now in Piledriver release.

Most of the good, late 990FX to be sure of ability to run x16 SLI, just don't have the hold-on PATA stuff. eSata, jah, but some of that other stuff. No.

I gotcha, well I suppose I could use a PCI IDE adapter, as long as the mobo has at least 2 PCI ports. I guess we can't hold onto ALL the old technology as we move on to the new. Any suggestions for mobos?

For my Phenom, the Bulldozer isn't worth the money to upgrade and I'll skip the Falcon.

Last edited:
look at the asus m5a97 r2.0, as a bottom.
after getting used to it i can push my 965be over 4.3 with a khuler 920.
the next one up would be the asrock fatlady 990fx, good board, a little dated, performs well.
I will only recomend boards i have used and both of these have done well.

look at the asus m5a97 r2.0, as a bottom.
after getting used to it i can push my 965be over 4.3 with a khuler 920.
the next one up would be the asrock fatlady 990fx, good board, a little dated, performs well.
I will only recomend boards i have used and both of these have done well.

Thanks a lot for the reply Caddi. I wound up buying a 990xa-ud3 out of haste, but I can't get it to stably unlock and overclock my system. I'm happy to try something else as the store I bought it from said I could return the board as long as it is not in any way damaged. On my am2+ mobo, I used my 560BE as a quad core that was stable over 4.1 GHz (with overvolting) and 3.71 with no overvolting. Now I can't get it stable at 3.7 on the 990xa-ud3 even with overvolting. I bought some Ripjaws 1600 gaming ram with the new mobo, everything else is the same

PS lol at fat lady. I was looking at the fatal1ty boards but 240 euros and 2 weeks for shipping was a bit much.

a 990 chipset is the right choice.
should your ram not be set to 1333?
did you reset the cmos?
did you start out at default settings?

a 990 chipset is the right choice.
should your ram not be set to 1333?
did you reset the cmos?
did you start out at default settings?
+1 The Gigabyte UD3 is a quality board, first thing I thought of was what Caddie posted above, your chips IMC may not be able to handle ddr3 1600.

Thanks for the support, unfortunately I couldn't get the gigabyte board to work. I tried downclocking the RAM, flashing the BIOS, upping voltages plenty, but it just would not stay stable. I traded the board +5 Euros for a ASRock 990FX Extreme3 and it works perfectly right out of the box. I may have traded some features but my 560BE is now a stable 3.9GHz quad core (19.5x) with only a mild CPU voltage bump, and my RAM is stable at 1600 MHz (apparently this CPU, like the 6 cores, supports it) I don't know why the gigabyte mobo would not work, the board I upgraded from was a gigabyte as well. But at least the ASRock is functional in all the necessary parameters. I'll keep rocking this CPU until I feel the need for a Piledriver or whatever new they make to replace the 8350.

AMD Phenom II 560BE @ 3.9GHz Quad-Core
Cooler Master Hyper 212+
ASRock 990FX Extreme 3
NVidia GTX 560 OC
8GB G-Skill Ripjaws @ 1600MHz Unganged
XFX 550 Watt PSU
Samsung 830 series 128GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB 32MB Cache in tandem with SSD
Cooler Master Storm Scout case with far too many red LED fans
2TB Seagate Go Flex via USB 3.0
LG BH10Ls38 Blu-Ray Burner
Deltaco multicard reader with Infra Red+remote