• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Testing 7970 Crossfire.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JonSimonzi

Right now I have a reference 7970, and I'm thinking about picking up a second for some crossfire action, since I have an eyefinity setup at 5760x1200. Before getting the card, I want to make sure I'll get a noticeable gain in the game I play, so I'm trying to talk my friend into bringing over his 7970, which is the Asus DCII. Now, from my understanding, with crossfire you could throw in any two cards from the same series, and it'd work fine. But a few people I've mentioned my testing plans to, said there may be compatibility issues crossfiring a reference and DCII card. Is that the case? Will I have a compatibility issue crossfiring those two cards? Thanks :)

You wont have issue. As long as the cards are the same series when speaking of AMD cards. Even a 7950 and a 7970 can be CFed. Your sometime better to clock the cards identically to improve stability in some title but its far from really needed in most case.

Just put the card together, make sure CF is active and have fun !

I have a TriFire HD7970 setup, two reference from different makers, and a third with non reference cooler from yet another maker, no issue at all. I have all three clocked @1050/1450 with no issue. Just ensure thta CF is enabled in CCC, and more importantly, have fun! You would need at least two of these cards for a good EF gaming experience. With three such cards, and my CPU at stock speed, I can play BF3 @5760x1200, 4xMSAA + Ultra setting and still not go below 60fps in SP campaigns.

So I tried it out yesterday, and everything worked well crossfiring the cards, but I didn't get the results I was hoping for. I was hoping for some improvement in World of Warcraft adding in a second card, but didn't get a single ounce of improvement. Same FPS with one or two. Oh well. Save my money for a next gen card then. Hopefully the 8970 is out soon :D

It depends on the game you are playing and there may not be a World of Warcraft Profile for Crossfire.

Battlefield definitely has a profile for it and the best way to check is to get into CCC and go to 3d settings, all the way at the bottom it will have Crossfire profiles and you can check to see if WOW is in there.

I also have two 7970's and one is still in the box it came in because it gives me 0 gains when I use it for iRacing.com Motorsports simulations all due to their being no actual profile to run it with.

Back