• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions on a waterblock for this 7970 please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatM1ser2k4

I bought this 7970 yesterday, and I'm kind of confused as to what a good full cover waterblock would be for it. I cant even tell if its reference design or not. I've read that the difference in temps between most waterblocks is very similar, so could you suggest so good performers that are on the cheaper side?

EDIT: Someone found a website that confirms this is a reference design

Last edited:
While not an overly detailed review, here is a site that compares several different blocks for your card: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=230772.

I've always used EK blocks. They have a good reputation in the community, great performance, and mid-range pricing. I also like their packaging :).

According to the link above, the Heatkiller blocks are better performers, but I've never actually heard of them before, so I can't speak to their quality. Swiftech also makes good parts.

Look into the EK blocks and see if that's in your price range--you can't go wrong. They run from $110-$120.

According to the link above, the Heatkiller blocks are better performers, but I've never actually heard of them before, so I can't speak to their quality. Swiftech also makes good parts.

Heatkiller blocks are manufactured by EK. Well not necessarily all of them but the more recent GPU line is anyways. IDK who the designer is though.

I hope your luckier than I was I bought 2 7950's DD and well XFX (well not just XFX alot of them did) changed the pcb several times from what I gather and well there isnt a wb to be found outside of universal. And seeing as you just bought this yesterday I'm gonna wager its non reference and theres none out there.

not 100% accurate. Like mine says specifically on Alphacools comparability list DUAL FAN. But somehwere someone changed the pcb's for the cards. Not just XFX. I've looked at so many pcb's trying to find cards that'll fit my blocks lol.

The XFX I would bet is non-reference. I know mine I had ordered was not, though was able to exchange it for a reference board.

http://www.ekwb.com/news/233/19/New-revision-od-XFX-7970-cards-brings-compatibility-issues/

That is the best post I found talking about XFX specifically, but following up with others is always a good idea as well if you can get them to respond. I can take a pic when I get home of my swiftech if you'd like, but it's not a cheap block and there are plenty of pics online - but it does look pretty awesome imo.

That only states that the PCB design for the FX-797A-TDBC model has changed. The link that the OP posted is for the FX-797A-TDFC. Unless EK was unaware of or neglected to mention a change in the PCB design of that card, it should still be reference.

The easiest way to determine if it's a reference card is to look at the PCB near the PCI-E connector and check if there is an AMD logo present. XFX includes the AMD logo on their reference design PCBs. If there's no logo, then you'll need to swap out the card with one that is reference.

Edit: Upon searching online a bit, it seems that XFX has probably changed the PCB design for the FX-797A-TDFC as well.

problem is they changed the pcb without changing the part number so EK swiftech alphacool and the others have no way of knowing unless they send them pics of the new layout. I'll wager its most likely a non reference pcb just as my TDFC 7950's weren't. This is why I just sold my TDFC's and am buying different cards as I already bought blocks for them. Now the good news is that the Artic Cooling 7970 cooler has gotten great reviews for being quiet even at 100% fan speed while knocking the temps down 10c+ or there are decent universal options as well. If I didnt sell mine by this weekend I'd of gone with either the AC 7970 or EK's Bridge universal block with ram and mofset sinks

been looking for a waterblock for my diamond 7970 which i think is reference, im probably gona go with EK seems to be the best price and one of the best performers.

love the look of the Swiftech Komodo but cant find it in stock anywhere in UK :(

make sure you check the vrm's are actively cooled on a full cover block i know the xspc ones aren't, dont see the point in a full cover block that dont cool vrm's??

Back