• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung 840 Pro Ordered - Any updates on failure rates?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
Guys, I am just getting back into OCF again and ordered a new rig. I chose the 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro as my main OS drive. I read a few months ago on Anand that these drives seem to be failing left and right based on the firmware.

Is this still a problem on current retail drives?
Do we have any members that own one?

Regards,

Dom

PS - Any 2013 tips on Samsung SSD's?

Thanks guys.
Yes, I read the initial anand article plus the update, and I am aware that he stated it was only the pre release firmware drives that had problems however, I heard even the retail drives with the new firmware have high fail rates also. So I guess my question is more tailored to current OCF members that own a Samsung 840 pro, just to tell me how she is running and if its all fine and dandy.

You ordered first and ask about failures later? ;)

Kidding aside, it's interesting to pour over the 840 Pro Newegg reviews. Early reviews are so-so, the later reviews are almost all 5 stars. So it appears there were growing pains.

I like mine so far, it hits over 500 MB/s write and 550 read as advertised.

A little update!!
i fricken love mine!!!!!!!!

I have to publish some iometer server results on this drive.
I am getting almost 140,000 iops at 512b random read. WOWWW

560 sustained read
540 sustained write

I love this drive! I have literally never installed windows 7 this fast before. I think it took less than 10 minutes from putting the CD in the drive to sitting on the finished desktop.

Back