• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice on new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eXsssdatic

I've been wanting to build my own gaming PC for a while now and I've finally almost saved up enough to build it. Before finalizing it and placing orders (and possibly make a mistake) I thought I would post the components here since I only have basic knowledge and the people here would obviously have more experience than me. :p :thup:

• SSD boot drive (also open for suggestion)

• ~1TB HDD (undecided but probably WD)

I think that should be it for the most important components.
If you have any sort of suggestion for better and/or more economical parts or advice or see some sort of issue or problem then I would really appreciate your insight and experience!

Anyways, thanks ahead of time,
eXsssdatic

PS: I am planning on getting a second of the same GPU in the future to SLI.
Also was looking at a nice and simple NZXT closed loop water cooler for CPU. Maybe in the future sometime. If someone has experience with this case and this type of cooler I would also appreciate some advice on where to mount the radiator. Once again thanks ahead of time. :D

Almost forgot, would also try to overclock in the future obviously. :p

Before commenting on a build the important question to ask is always "what will you be using it for ?". Question two becomes "what is your budget?". Or reverse the questions, doesn't matter.

Knufire pretty much has made an art out of builds, so I would be amiss to argue with anything he posts. I would definitely follow his recommendations for the mobo (Extreme4) and the GPU, unless you just don't like AMD/ATI, as the 7970 is currently the best card for the price. I will say I have never used a Toshiba HDD, so no idea how reliable they tend to be in the long run. Otherwise, it's hard to argue with that system for under 1300.

Closed loop water coolers really aren't much more beneificial (if at all) than air cooling at the moment. If you really want to go water, there's an entire forum here dedicated to it (that did a great job of straightening me out when I built my loop) where you can read and then ask questions (please in that order on the WC forums lol).

Lol thanks for the advise and suggestions guys :) There are a few things though. For one I'm pretty set on the case. I've always liked it ever since I started researching and planning like a year ago (yeah I know it's been a long time). And yeah I prefer Nvidia over AMD so what would be an equivalent? Also the ASRock MB: why is it preferable over the Asus or MSI?

There are a couple AIO's that beat out highest end air...

H100
H100i
Tt Bigwater 2.0
Swiftech H220
(and other strikingly similar units)

Basically, anything with a 2x120 rad should beat out high end air... I believe the H80 used to compete with high end air as well.

680 is equal to the 7970.

ASRock is better price/performance.

Lian Li....I've never seen anyone have better quality cases than they do.

Alright the ASRock sounds good but what do you think of the extreme6? only $5 more on newegg
Oh and damn 680's are expensive o_O

Ex6 is slightly better with better parts. For $5 more, I would get it so long as it doesnt break the bank. Is it needed. No.. not for 'normal' overclocks around 4.8Ghz or less. You want to push things 24/7 Ex6.

Back