• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moccor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128521 v1.4 of the MOBO

This board is weird. I purchased it like 25days ago, and it works. It is weird for multiple reasons. 1st reason being, in the BIOS it sets my vcore at 1.475 default. That's really high and when there is a load on the CPU it gets higher by like .30-.40, taking it to 1.5X. When the vcore is set to 1.350, the voltage displayed in CPU-Z is like 1.362-to-1.39 or 1.40, I don't remember it off the top of my head because I change settings a lot. I'm not sure if it's normal for a MOBO to display voltages different like this. (also I have all that K8 and any other power saving stuff disabled while it is set to performance in Windows).

2nd reason. I'm looking at AIDA64, and it says the DIMM is @1.456-1.472 (depending on usage). It should be set to like.. 1.55 or 1.60 (i manually set it to one of these values since I increased the FSB a bit). I actually think the value is correct though, because it also displays the correct vcore. And since its a recognized program and has been around a lot, it gives me more belief something isn't right here.

Any thoughts/comments as to why this might be like this?

Edit: Also, HWiNFO reports that my DIMM voltage is 1.456 @ 100%...
Also, can anyone tell me where I can find the max temperatures for hardware? I checked the gigabyte online manual for my board and couldn't find it and I also Googled a bit. I think my CPU NB is running @ 64C max under load with 1.250v

Last edited:
If that board has cpu LLC set to enabled or Auto the cpu voltages can be all over the place. Not a new situation for that cheaper Gigabyte mobo.

Gigabyte is n0t going to furnish any temp values for chips on the mobo. Gigabyte has some of the most difficult to determine which temp is really what or is the reading for what component of the motherboard.

If you have serious doubts about the working of the mobo, it is a good time to return it perhaps and get a replacement or even some other brand more likely to return readily discernable temps.

Ahh completely forgot about the LLC... I checked many guides for overclocking and seen some people left it on. When I changed it before, I left it on "extreme" the only options were Auto, Extreme and Regular. Turns out Auto = Extreme, Extreme = Extreme and Regular = 'Off' lol. Well, this explains why my CPU voltage displayed differently in the BIOS. Doesn't explain it with my RAM tho. Gonna set the voltages to Auto, and see if the motherboard chooses 1.50 for RAM automatically. If so then I think the board is fine.

I know its not good to double post, but its been a few days. Just wondering, is it normal to have to fully shutdown the pc after applying some overclocks, to get them to boot and work fine? I've noticed that with this same OC I have in my sig, it works fine most of the time. Sometimes when I reapply it after testing other settings, it gets a boot failure. So I shutdown the pc, turn it on and its fine.

is it normal to have to fully shutdown the pc after applying some overclocks, = Yes and No. There are some changes that are made in bios that my board seems to actually shut-down and then REstart itself on its' own. That is not like just a normal save bios and exit. I know mine seems to do that behavior when I change a multiplier or change LLC settings. But it does the seeming shut-down and REstart all on its' own. I don't have to shut it down manually and REstart even though it seems to do it own its' own.

Could be that your board starts to do similar but does not do so automatically as mine does. Hard to say what is different. Mine seems to need to do what looks like a cold-boot after certain bios changes and does it by itself fully, Yours likely needs what looks like a cold-boot after some bios changes but does not do it by its' ownself fully but you must do the full shut-down manually. Might be just the way your board is constructed and interacts with the power supply or some odd crap like that. As long as the manual full shut-down works, I doubt there is much you can do other than start changing out parts to see if anything changes that behavior. Probably not worth it since I put a cpu in and then tweak it a little and save the bios and exit and then use the computer for days and days on end without ever going back in bios and changing anything; because I am at the place where the computer is going to run anyway.
RGone...

Back